The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so it's time to get started...

<O:p</O:phaven't had a real reef tank ever. i tried once ten years ago, but everything crashed when i went on a three week trip. keeping a reef tank has been one of my greatest joys and also my biggest defeats when my old tank crashed. <O:p
<O:p</O:p

i have a truvu 55gal tank. 36lx20tx18d... i think. picked it up on craigs list and it came with a stand and a tiny florescent light that won’t be used. at the moment there aren't any holes in the tank, but that's soon to change. i want to drill out at least four holes for an overflow and return, and i'm contemplating a cls. not sure if a small tank like mines needs it, but the concept is great.

<O:p</O:pi've been lurking here for a few weeks, and i've already learned more from here than i ever have from any lfs guy so i'd like to thank you for that. i'll post pics as soon as i figure out how. thanks -Boots <O:p</O:p

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the stand.
really needs to be refinnished. leaning towards piano black, but we'll see. i also need to make a matching canopy, but not too sure how tall to make it. possibly a 12".

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.
got the doors off and here's a pic of what i'll be using for a sump. 20gal all glass. to think that i was worried the sump wasn't going to be big enough.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here's the light i'll be using. it's a coral vue 250 ballast with a 20k radium bulb. i'm not too sure it'll be enough, so i was thinking of getting 2 36' t5ho with actinic bulbs. when i fire up the lamp it's bright and blue. does that mean the bulb is old or is that just the way 20k look? never had metal halide before. they're awesome.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i noticed that, and was wondering what it was. i thought that it was bent due to heat from the lamps.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
for the height of the canopy, the height will be determined on what kinda lighting you will use. If you run halides, i would say that you want 9" from the bulb to the water. Mine is 10" from bulb to water level.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the top of my tank will have a lid unless anyone see an issue with that. i'm not really sure if a few inches off the water would be good or bad. i'm so new to this it's scary.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my skimmer. it's an oddysea ps160. at the moment it's crap but i've heard you can mod them to run like champs. if not then i guess that's $60 i'll never see again.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh is that the issue? lol.. did not know that. see how much of a noob i am :)
i take back my remarks about oddysea... for now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
got the stand sanded. i was so happy thinking i was done sanding and then i remembered that i had to sand the doors too. oh well.

also cut out most of the back pannel. i think what's left should be supportive enough, but i'll put in some braces just in case. the sump fits too :) crazy eyes not included.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts