The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Aside from member signups and renewals, is there anything else website-related that I should be ready to discuss?

Regarding voting, I believe the constitution and bylaws are pretty clear - Associate members can't vote. If they want a vote they need to pay the $10 for a student membership, $20 for a Regular membership or $40 for a corporate membership. Honorary and sponsor members don't get a vote. That's what I remember from the club docs so take that with a grain of salt...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
I'll admit that I haven't read the bylaws on it.

When we originally signed up, my wife was told that by buying the "extra card" in addition to our "regular" membership, that she would have the same rights as the other members when it comes to voting and such. She specifically asked before getting the "extra card" to make sure that we got the right membership. If this is not the case then I think we might need to consider having a "family membership" which would allow spouses to join together and allow both to have the same rights without having to have seperate/individual memberships. I do feel that it wouldbe in the best interest of the club to encourage families as well as individuals to join and have equal rights in the club without making it seem like we only want thier money. I know with all of the clubs I've been a memver of in the past, we never had to join seperately in order to have the same rights and voting priveledges.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,889 Posts
Don when we were drafting the bylaws we discussed this and many other issues at length. This was also open for discussion with the membership and all of the bylaws were available for public viewing well before the vote took place. I think it would be counterproductive to start changing bylaws this soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't read this the wrong way...

I agree with Rick. The meetings were too lengthy and boring last year to debate this stuff again. The bylaws are there for everyone to read, whether they did or not. I for one, never read them at great length until I recently with all the uproar. I "knew" them, but not in detail.

I think the by law as it is written is proper and sound. Most "family" members that would join are not involved enough to vote...some are....just need to know which membership to purchase.
 

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
Joined
·
2,679 Posts
Will this also discuss some of the current projects? ie, Fernbank, I can't remember the school but were we building a tank for a school?

Ray
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
147 Posts
cyberchef said:
I'll admit that I haven't read the bylaws on it.

When we originally signed up, my wife was told that by buying the "extra card" in addition to our "regular" membership, that she would have the same rights as the other members when it comes to voting and such. She specifically asked before getting the "extra card" to make sure that we got the right membership. If this is not the case then I think we might need to consider having a "family membership" which would allow spouses to join together and allow both to have the same rights without having to have seperate/individual memberships. I do feel that it wouldbe in the best interest of the club to encourage families as well as individuals to join and have equal rights in the club without making it seem like we only want thier money. I know with all of the clubs I've been a memver of in the past, we never had to join seperately in order to have the same rights and voting priveledges.
Although we have two regular memberships most people would not read the entire bylaws. The web page of "why to join" is a little misleading when it comes to the extra card for a spouse and does not state that there is a difference between the first card and the spouse card.
The money or the bylaws is not an issue but the wording on the "why to join" page should be updated so that a person knows that the "spouse" card is not a "full" membership with voting rights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,804 Posts
Ray, regarding the Newnan school, they wanted $ to buy a new tank/stand/hood. They turned down the Kent skimmer when I (we the BOD) offerred it to them.

The teacher said that he'd be interested in frags at some future date once the tank got established. It was supposed to be setup by the end of Sept.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
constructing member database

As I am printing cards I am trying to designate: Regular, Family, Spouse, and Officer members. I do not have the original signup sheets so the best I can do is ask at the meetings to verify data. So there would be a code on your card whether you have voting privileges. Some, the Shindells for instance, have two $20 "Regular" memberships although she was not present to vote, and when Roger Mahler joined for $25 he gave his son voting rights. Students do not vote and many in our club did not vote because they were not there. It is possible to have proxy representation if a club member were to forward their written vote and a copy of their membership card, if we were to allow this. On-line voting is not really possible. The BOD2 forum is designed for this, but not for the general membership.

From a personal gut feeling, if you are too distracted to come to the meeting you are not really interested enough to vote. However there are obviously situations where members who do participate have a conflict that one night. I am guessing that if someone had said they were representing another member by proxy, we would have let it stand. I would not have a problem with all members voting by mail is they verified their eligibility with their cards. This election of ARC officers is not going into recall but if it did, we voted evenly once, so electing Curtis would have been just as satisfactory for the club.

The rules were not meant to take the fun out, just to settle disputes. I agree that we can be more distinct in warning that $5 for a spouse is not a voting membership fee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Don,

I'm sorry that your wife was misinformed when she signed up for her membership. I'll edit the ARC site to make the current membership system's rules for voting more obvious.

Regarding whether or not to discuss this stuff again and possibly add some kind of Voting Associate membership type, I don't see why we can't at least talk about it. If Don wants to have everyone talk about it a bit and then writes up a proposed amendment to be voted on, well, that's just part of how changes are supposed to be made. I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with Don on this one but we as the BoD have a responsibility to give anybody's proposed change due consideration - even if we're tired of wrangling with club politics. :)

We can't just say "Let's not talk about it" if it's not something that's been considered recently.

My two bits.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,889 Posts
MsMafia said:
Although we have two regular memberships most people would not read the entire bylaws. The web page of "why to join" is a little misleading when it comes to the extra card for a spouse and does not state that there is a difference between the first card and the spouse card.
The money or the bylaws is not an issue but the wording on the "why to join" page should be updated so that a person knows that the "spouse" card is not a "full" membership with voting rights.
Voting priveleges do not come with the card. The card is merely for identification. It is meant to be worn as a name badge at meetings and to be used for discounts at sponsor stores. You don't have to have your card to vote and if you lose your card you don't lose voting priveleges.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,044 Posts
The only way to change the Const/By-laws is with a membership vote after following the proper procedures as outlined in the said docs. We the BOD has also stated on numerious occasions that if an amendment was properly written up and submitted then we the BOD would agree to allow it to move to a membership vote weather we agreed w/ it or not. I have also volunteered to mentor anyone who wishes to make an amendment so that it is done correctly the first time and could move as quickly as possible to a membership vote.

So with all that in mind there is no real need for a lengthly discussion amongst the BOD. Write up the amendment then a lengthly discussion will be had just prior to the membership voting on it.

This really isn't very hard. If you don't agree with the const/by-laws then attempt a change. Thats how these things are suppose to work. We the BOD can make any day to day decisions as long as they are not in direct conflict with anything spelled out in the Const or by-laws (That in itself is spelled out in the said docs).

Not trying to stiffle any discussions but lets not beat each other up over something that can only be changed with a membership vote. At this point our personal opnions can't change the docs.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
147 Posts
Rick O said:
Voting priveleges do not come with the card. The card is merely for identification. It is meant to be worn as a name badge at meetings and to be used for discounts at sponsor stores. You don't have to have your card to vote and if you lose your card you don't lose voting priveleges.
I've been misunderstood,
I'm only trying to point out that the ARC web page is missleading.
Or easily misunderstood. It reads like " for $5 the spouce gets a membership." Says nothing about limitations.
I dont wont to make any changes to ths by-laws.
The cards we have both say Reg. Member that means we both entitled vote right? If not let me know what I have to do to get voting rights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
Wendy

I have that you paid $30 on the 22 of September 2003. Normal pro-rated dues for the rest of the year would have been $10 each at that time. However the Calfo event was also being funded by a $5 charge to new members. We were saying that 2004 dues & Calfo was $25 for new members. It does not work out perfectly logical to me, but in my best judgement one of you paid thru 2004 as a "Regular" member and one as a "Spouse". That said and realizing that my records are far from perfect, I sent two cards for the 2004 season, Chris is the "Regular" and you are "Secretary". As ARC Secretary, you will have no problem making your vote count. After all, you will most likely be counting them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
Re: Cyberchef

wildemon said:
You know Don that your wife is only upset about voting because you won. Now you have the burden of the club for a year.

Actually she voted I didn't William, and she's not upset because I won.

When we signed up she was the one who filled out the form and was told that we were getting a "family" membership, which as it appears now is just a regular membership with a "second" card and only one voting priveledge. This is not what was originally explained to her.

All that wanted/needed is clarification of what each membership is and what priveledges come with it as well as the definition of "additional membership cards". She asked before the initial vote and was told that both of us had the right to vote, then after the tie vote Charles brought up a different view point/answer.

wildemon said:

As I am printing cards I am trying to designate: Regular, Family, Spouse, and Officer members. I do not have the original signup sheets so the best I can do is ask at the meetings to verify data. So there would be a code on your card whether you have voting privileges. Some, the Shindells for instance, have two $20 "Regular" memberships although she was not present to vote, and when Roger Mahler joined for $25 he gave his son voting rights.
Does Roger also have voting priveledges or does only his son? This is the clarification I'm referring to. I've just gone over the bylaws, as posted to the ARC website, and it doesn't say anything in the bylaws about "family" memeberships. It does mention the additional cards but does not state in writing what the "intentions" of the card are, but it does call them "additional membership cards" in writing.


Section 10
Dues for regular and Charter members will be set at $20.00. Dues for student members will be $10.00. Dues for commercial members will be $40.00. Commercial members will be provided with a small advertising space on web site and newsletters. There will be no initial or yearly dues for Sponsor members. Commercial, Sponsor, Regular, and Charter members can purchase additional membership cards over and above the initially issued cards at the rate of $5.00 per additional card. Regular and Charter members may only purchase additional cards for use by immediate family.
If we can't figure out the solution, based on the letter of the bylaws, then an ammendment or whatever else it takes will happen to get it clarified.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top