The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I may just have to get in the habit of throwing detritus into the oncoming surf. In just the last couple of days the webpage is filling in, Andy and Jenn are asking about the program for August, Maria has connected with Fernbank, but unfortunately Jenn and Andy are feuding again. I am going to list the items I think still need resolution:

Rob is going to email Robert Mahler about the offer for help with the website.
Rick is going to contact Wachovia to get the club's bank statements.
Rick will fabricate a budget for the past year for IRS 2004.
Andy will book and pay for Calfo's plane and hotel.
Jenn is going to find the Borneman tape and give it to Sam for copying.
Someone will make a presentation at Imagine Ocean.
We will find locations for the rest of the year.
Finally, can we make a resolution on the Newnan school donation request? Did I miss someone's decision?

In the works:
Charles is setting up logo store at CafePress, needs logo refined.
NanoReef SIG forming.

Nothing but compliments for Rob because as I was fussing he was finishing many of the webpages I asked about.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Correction: Andy and Jenn are feuding STILL (get it right already!).

I have the club's bank statements. They will only be sent to the club's principle address. I have been handing them over to Rick wat meetings when he's there. IMO we would be wise to set up online banking, then the account could be checked regularly from home, passwords could be changed with the change in treasurer. Statements/reconciliations could be downloaded to the treasurer's home.

If Rick needs help with the budget, William, you and I fabricated 4 years' worth for those IRS papers - they would be a great starting point.

I called Don at Kent today regarding a product demo, waiting to hear back to see if he or another rep is available (pending BOD approval, of course) but I need to give him a lot of lead time.

Your thoughts?

Jenn

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Cafepress is setup but no items in the store yet. I have somebody working on the logo as we speak. They just need to be refined to the correct format, resolution, and size to work best for CafePress.

All this will come together over the next couple of weeks as the logos get done. Will keep everyone updated as progress happens.

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
JennM said:
I have been handing them over to Rick wat meetings when he's there.
I only have the February bank statement. I don't have a clue where the club stands regarding it's finances. I don't know when deposits are made or if any withdrawals are being made. As far as I know we haven't had a new member since April. I'm totally out of the loop.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
JennM said:
IMO we would be wise to set up online banking, then the account could be checked regularly from home, passwords could be changed with the change in treasurer. Statements/reconciliations could be downloaded to the treasurer's home.
Amen sister --- I've been saying that from the begining.

·
5,916 Posts
Rick O said:
I only have the February bank statement. I don't have a clue where the club stands regarding it's finances. I don't know when deposits are made or if any withdrawals are being made. As far as I know we haven't had a new member since April. I'm totally out of the loop.
Well you haven't been to a meeting... It's all here, has all been reported in the minutes for current balance as of meeting day. I believe all minutes are posted with the most recent meeting the possible exception. When you were absent at the meetings, I provided an interim report of bank balance and deposits. No withdrawals have been made. I'm not the treasurer, and only you and I have signing authority.

I still have the same $92 and change of pre-approved expenses to be reimbursed, and Andy mentioned he has some too. Since you weren't there, nothing was done about that. Andy told me that you had resigned. I offered to help, he asked me to wait, which I did. I did not contact you with the information because I was unsure of your status.

I didn't provide a member count at the last couple of meetings, as I did not take notice of what the current count is, but I'll be updating Rob shortly with a current list, and depositing the money I collected at the last meeting, perhaps as early as the end of this week.

Jenn

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I never said Rick resigned. I said tried to resign...semantics. I refused his resignation....and he is back after a brief break.

Speaking of the account. I will make time in the next few weeks to come up there and get on the signature card...maybe at the next meeting?

Online banking sounds good, but we do need to change the address for the statement to Ricks. This would save a lot of leg work on both parts.

Stay tuned for further developments....

·
5,916 Posts
MyReef said:
I never said Rick resigned. I said tried to resign...semantics. I refused his resignation....and he is back after a brief break.

Semantics whatever - (combative?)

After the middle of May when Rick stormed out of the forum (and the club? It wasn't made clear) over the Newnan school issue (which remains unresolved, I think), he did not post again except once on the website issue, until very recently.

So I held the status quo and made the necessary reports at meetings until the issue was sorted out. The information is available through the minutes and I have all the paperwork.

If statements are being transferred to the treasurer's address, does that mean that we'll have to change address every time we change treasurers? Yes it's only once a year (hopefully - who knows anymore?!), but I just want to understand what the plan is. And, if a treasurer leaves, and he/she is the recipient of the statements, can we get that changed without his/her permission once it's done? My fear is that if a treasurer does quit under duress, the club might lose control of the finances. I'm not making accusations or assumptions, just looking at how things were manged in other clubs and organizations I've belonged to. Usually the president, secretary or archivist got the statements, kept a copy for the club's records, and passed it on to the treasurer. That is why there needs to be multiple signing officers, and transparent monthly reporting. We'll also need to have the books independently audited toward the end of the year.

Jenn

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
No win situation on the address change. Yes it will have to be done. I don't see a good alternative. In effect every office will change yearly. If we get a PO box, then if I became treasurer one year...I am not treking up to Canton to get the statement...I would want it here. If the bank can't handle a yearly change, then we find someone who can.

Well if a treasurer quits, then we have to have faith in that person to turn the money over...there are still legal issues at stake here. I don't think anyone will risk that for a few grand.

On the issue of Rick resigning...if Rick wants to step forward he can give an explanation...He is still the treasurer....FWIW, I know it was not over the Newnan debacle...but issues that people won't let die. We all are tired of tip toeing around (to coin a phrase), so we won't mince words anymore.

The BOD has voted and the address change will happen. I will come up and sign the sig card. Only 3 people will be allowed to write checks, the President, the VP, and the treasurer. The membership coordinator can make deposits since they are taking in money at meetings or they can turn the money over to the Pres, VP, or Treasurer.

·
5,916 Posts
The only reason I co-signed one check up until now (and it hasn't even been cashed yet...) was because 2 sigs were required according to bylaws, and Rick and I were the only 2 on the account, and I was asked to do it, and the BOD approved of the "exception". (Why do I feel like I need to keep defending myself? This is how these things escalate.....) The signing officers as you just stated are as they are *supposed* to be were defined a long time ago. I have no problem with this, and that's another reason why I haven't reimbursed any expenses, esp. my own - would not want to appear improper, even if it was all approved and above board. I really could use my $92+ dollars though. Somebody mentioned a standard expense report form a while back, but that never materialized... I have receipts for everything except 6 x 37 cent stamps used to mail sponsor and membership cards to those far away who are not able to pick them up at meetings.

Technically, anybody who takes money in (raffle, ticket sales, memberships etc.) can make a deposit. All they need is the account number. Assuming they've been given the number, the treasurer would be aware that they are doing so. Not anybody can make a check or withdrawal. That's SOP banking. Since we're all geographically separated, and since many pay with cash, it's only logical that there will be times when some committee chair will need to make deposits, not just the membership chair, although the membership chair will probably make most of the deposits throughout the year.

Jenn

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Yep, I am not saying we are changing things...I am saying we are making them how they were drawn up. Finally got off our butts, so to speak. Again no one is faulting anyone...we are setting things straight and proper.

I talked to Bob a few months ago about signing the sig card for the bank...so maybe he can clarify...can I go to any Wachovia and sign a card for the club account or do I have to go to the main branch for the account?

I couldn't find the "standard expense report at home, but I just found it here at work. I will email it to everyone and or if Rob could put it somewhere on the website, we could DL it?

·
5,916 Posts
I'm not sure what the protocol is for signing onto an account. Theoretically you need to have the approval of whoever is already on the account - or anybody could just jump on to any account. When I set up the account the banker was lenient enough to give me the paperwork to take home, and return. I did this with Rick's info, but Andy you did not have a driver's licence at that time, so you told me not to wait.

Since then my bank has merged and the people at the branch aren't as familiar anymore, and I am not sure if they'd do that again - the manager has changed.......ugh. I liked it when I went in and everybody knew my name, now I'm just another account number(s).......

I imagine that paperwork could be submitted at any branch, but I might have to pick up the stuff at the branch where the account is held. I will go in there either later this week or beginning of next. I'll inquire.

Jenn

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My suggestion would be to leave the address alone. We should and do have a club address and that should not be cahnged on bank records or anywhere else.

This all really comes down to Rick getting access to the bank statements. And that is easily solved by banking on-line.

If we took all the time that this issue has been debated over the last couple of days we could have set the on-line stuff up 10 times over. Then Rick would have access and we wouldn't need to have this discussion any further.

I just don't see what the hold up is and I Just don't see any issue. Leave the hard copy records going to the address where they are currently going. Setup the on-line banking.

Problem solved!!!!!!!

And once the on-line banking is setup Rick would never look at another hard copy again even if they came to his address.

Trust me on this one. My account gets auto-reconciled every time I do any online banking. I never even open the hard copy envelopes anymore. I just file them w/ the envelope still glued shut. Once you are full on-line banking there isn't even a need for hard copies anymore (unless of course you like wasting trees ;) )

But I have now said my peace on this subject

I have stated in the past that I would no longer debate this and I would just let you all do what you will. I failed in doing that. I will not fail again --- do what you like.

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
yes, online banking is the way to go. i have never looked back, and it is extremely simple to set up. i am on the board of directors(vice president) for another non profit with 350 members, as far as a treasurer misapropriating funds. we have had two of them do this in the last ten years. all we could do was start over and count our losses. the trick to not having to worry to much is too keep the out flow up and not accumulate too much excess dinero

·
5,916 Posts
OK.

Jenn

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.