The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· $ The Poor Reefer $
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so my wife and i were noticing the bit of cyano in the back of the tank for awhile. i upped flow, rinsed foods better, cleaned more, took sand out of sump/fuge etc... and it got better, but it was still there. long story short we decided to use this blue vet red slime control stuff. we've used it before in the past and its worked really well, so we just did it again... and it helped.
now, i've heard that this stuff is antibacterial, and thats why it says to discontinue carbon use and turn off skimmer while its working, and you have to do a WC at the end of 4 days... i'm assuming its because if it sits too long itll start to kill the good bacteria in my rock.
long story short, i cant do my wc today :(
all params are good, only thing is the ammonia at .25ppm cause i had a yellow watchman goby die about a week ago, and was unable to do a big enough WC for that.

so my Question is: can this stuff sit more than 4 days without killing all the good bacteria? i put in about 2/3 tbsp of fresh rinsed carbon and topped off the tank this morning. will this be enough to hold it over for another day?
i just dont want my tank to crash, and i'm not sure what this stuf'll do?
thanks in advance guys! :) sorry to write a NOVEL! lol

· $ The Poor Reefer $
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay i had to come back and say this... my wife might've been a punk yesterday morning... but she MORE than made up, and i WAS able to do my WC.
we ended up going out to lunch, then going shooting, then went to a couple LFS to get her some cichlids for her tank, and get water for my WC.
AND while i was getting my water, she saw a flame angel, and told me i could get it!
WHAAAAAAAT?
babe thats a $55 fish!
yeah but hes really pretty...
BUT... i decided not to get him. i know i know... am i ill or something??
i just dont think i could handle having a $55 fish in my 40breeder tank, i'd always be worried about him... but i'd also be worried about all my corals possibly getting nipped at. and i've got several hundred dollars worth in there now. instead i went with a Lawnmower Blenny. yep, i turned down a $55 BEAUTIFUL angel, for a $18 LMB, but i like him.
long story short, my wife isn't as bad as i made her out to be :) i came home with 4 new fish, and she even helped me with my WC

· $ The Poor Reefer $
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and yes the tank is fine, nothing catastrophic as of yet ;)
i think the carbon was a good idea too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.