The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i've been having probs with my 2 favorite coral frags for a little over a month. I have seen zero polyp extension going on 43 days now. The tort has become a much lighter blue, more sky blue now. The only thing i can attribute the problems too is the addition of vinegar to my kalk. I'm dosing 2 teaspoons kalk and 20mL vinegar in 1 gallon of RO/DI water at a rate of 110mL per day. All other params are decent, my alk fluctuates a little each day but i've gotten it down to a very small change, maybe .5dKH per day and calcium stays steady around 400ppm. In addition i dose 15mL B-ionic calcium each day and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda each day. pH range is 7.8 low at night and 8.2 daytime high. I'm not sure how to correct whats going wrong and i don't want to lose these frags. I am still getting good growth, after a week of vacation I can see noticable growth on both frags. I'm going to discontinue the vinegar this week. But why would just these 2 frags hate vinegar and nothing else? Seems odd to me. Anyway, here are pics:

Tort about 45 days ago:

about 2 months ago:

Pics this morning with and without flash

A. suharsonoi about 45 days ago:

This morning (i moved this frag to less flow area)

·
ALWAYS MORE 2 LEARN!!
1,304 Posts
I hate to say this but alot of my frags never seem to show PE and I have growth from all of them. Sometimes I think daytime PE is over-rated, (hate me know if you wish), I know it looks nice a all and it is natural too. But this aren't in a natural enviroments and maybe this is a "natural" thing to go thru.

But hey I don't know JACK and it's just a thought.

I hope everything returns to normal and they continue to grow well. Sorry I don't have a real answer.

·
Wrasseman!
1,835 Posts
I agree with the bugs I have seen more then one tort with no polyp extension just to look closer and see bugs. After treatment good polyp extension again. Cant tell from the pics if you got the coral crotch crickets or not.

·
Registered
423 Posts
yup thats was my first thought also.i think certain coral are more susceptable than others to red bugs.some are affected first then others next. but cant see any either from lookin at the pics.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No red bugs. I've taken pieces out and looked with my magnifying glass. I will check again tonight, but i'm pretty positive i haven't gotten those bugs yet.

I'm not real worried about no PE during the day, but these 2 corals showed PE day and night for almost 3 full months then bam, nothing. So that seems odd to me, no PE at night or daytime now.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
michael7979 said:
I hate to say this but alot of my frags never seem to show PE and I have growth from all of them. Sometimes I think daytime PE is over-rated, (hate me know if you wish), I know it looks nice a all and it is natural too. But this aren't in a natural enviroments and maybe this is a "natural" thing to go thru.

But hey I don't know JACK and it's just a thought.

I hope everything returns to normal and they continue to grow well. Sorry I don't have a real answer.
Could be they just want to grow without PE i guess, but the thing that scares me is both frags have begun to lighten up.

·
ALWAYS MORE 2 LEARN!!
1,304 Posts
Have you read the thread by Liquidfunk (Joel)? Some of his corals are browning and he thought maybe it was his lights. How old are yours? I know you run the same bulbs. Is this a possibility?

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yah that occured to me too, but the bulb is only 6 months old at the most. Also both frags grew and had excellent PE for 3 months prior to this happening. I guess around the 4th month the bulbs spectrum could have changed somewhat, but i would think that would effect other corals as well. Thats not the case here. I've been considering changing to the new 15k XMs because of the good reviews...........

Keep the ideas coming! I REALLY appreciate it, especially if we can figure this out!

·
ALWAYS MORE 2 LEARN!!
1,304 Posts
Isn't 6 months about the same time frame Joel is sitting on?

Maybe the two corals that are effected or just more likely to "tell" you when something has changed!

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm i donno. I'll have to ask him. I'll do some more research on the bulb at RC too. Just might be time for that 15k XM anyway!

On a side note, i had some diatoms growing on a few zoo frags in a low flow area due to placing a few rocks so i can get frags off my big blue zoo colony. I pulled em out and gave em a quick scrub in a container. Well as we all know just moving something stirs the sand a bit. Well after this stirring of the sand and getting that crap off the zoos i noticed the tips of the polyps extended just barely on the tort. Kind of odd since i thought the goal of keeping healthy SPS was NO NUTRIENTS. I also used a 50X magnifying glass and saw no red bugs.

·
ALWAYS MORE 2 LEARN!!
1,304 Posts
Since you were gone on your vacation when was your last WC? Might this be part of it?

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, its gotta be red bugs. I was checking out this browned out coral on my lunch break

noticing how nice its turning out, lots of blue and green coming out in it. Well then i see some small red dots near the top. Look closer, they are all over it. DOH! I'm sure the red bugs are on the tort, just must be down in the corallites with the polyps or something cuz i'm sure they are no where on the outside after removing it and inspecting it. I can't see any on the suharsonoi either, must be the same deal. Now i'm gonna try to find some interceptor and see about treating. What a pain. Thanks for the help guys!

Miles

·
ALWAYS MORE 2 LEARN!!
1,304 Posts
Get ahold of R2 he can get it from a local vet.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good to know, thanks Mike!

Whats wierd is the coral i can see the bugs on has great PE, has been coloring up very nicely, and seems completely unaffected. The tort i cannot see any bugs, has no PE, and is getting lighter in color.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts