The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently aquired a Blue throat trigger (who I love!). I was gone for the day and noticed that the GSP I had on my overflow box had dissapeared and only the superglue I used to attach them was left. I am guessing that it was the trigger. The only others that were recently added were, 2 percs, randfordi goby (sp?) and an emerald crab.
Should I be worried that he may go after my lps or sps?

· spaceman spiff
15,672 Posts
well superglue on soft corals does not always hold up well. if you havent seen the trigger actually go after a coral, I'd think it's a bad assumption that it is the suspect. The Xanthicthys genus of triggers are reef safe and I've never actually read a report of them pestering corals. I'd say it's more likely the GSP simply fell from their attachment point and the other corals are perfectly safe.

· Premium Member
34,741 Posts
i agree. those triggers are totally planktonic feeders and would not look at the GSP for food. the GSP is just not in their thinking of anything that would be food. blue throats are looking for stuff floating in the water column.

for growing GSP on a vertical surface it is best to stab it through its center then stick that to the vertical surface. superglue is good for human skin, but does not seem to do as well on wet soft corals.

G~

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for growing GSP on a vertical surface it is best to stab it through its center then stick that to the vertical surface. superglue is good for human skin, but does not seem to do as well on wet soft corals.
Thanks for the tip, I will try that.

Thanks to everyone for letting me know that i don't have to choose between my favorite fish and my corals! :0)

· Registered
38 Posts
How would a blue throat trigger do in a 75 gallon with a flame angel, hippo tang, two mandarins, two maroon and gold clowns, a cleaner shrimp, and a fire shrimp? Would it eat my shrimp even though they are large?

· Registered
469 Posts
How would a blue throat trigger do in a 75 gallon with a flame angel, hippo tang, two mandarins, two maroon and gold clowns, a cleaner shrimp, and a fire shrimp? Would it eat my shrimp even though they are large?
again...get your own thread..and get a bigger tank--and why do you have 2 mandarins in a 75??? not being mean---but you are thread stealing and really do need to get a bigger tank

· c.a.g. owner and operator
2,367 Posts
the shrimp would most likely be fine as the trig is added after . but as someone pointed out , you already have some fish that will get pretty big , and with the amount of food and the amount of excrement from the trigger it would probably not be the wisest choice .

· Pinch That Penny
2,451 Posts
ur gonna have a hard time with the mandarins and the hippo in a 75 without adding anything else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.