The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
God******... my sister just HAD to have some blue tangs in the tank. Sure enough, a few days later and they're covered in white spots and are rubbing themselves all over the live rock. They're still eating really well, but i'm 100% sure it's ich. We don't have a QT. Anything I can do apart from investing in one? If that's the only way, what's the best way to set one up quickly?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
God******... my sister just HAD to have some blue tangs in the tank. Sure enough, a few days later and they're covered in white spots and are rubbing themselves all over the live rock. They're still eating really well, but i'm 100% sure it's ich. We don't have a QT. Anything I can do apart from investing in one? If that's the only way, what's the best way to set one up quickly?

Thanks in advance
well if you can't set up a qt tank then try using kordon ick attack, it's 100% reef safe and will not harm anything. i'm using it now to treat my chevron who came down with a case of it.
did you say that you have two tangs that are of the same species?

·
Registered
18 Posts
well if you can't set up a qt tank then try using kordon ick attack, it's 100% reef safe and will not harm anything. i'm using it now to treat my chevron who came down with a case of it.
did you say that you have two tangs that are of the same species?
DDDOOONNNNNTTTTT UUUSSSEEEEE IICCCHHHH AAATTTTAAACCCKKKK
it destroyed my corals and they were very very hardy corals, use kick ich its the best reef safe stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nothing will rid ich 100% that is reef safe. IMO the ONLY methods are proper QT in hypo (1.010SG) and/or copper. My suggestion is to set up a quick and cheap QT, it doesnt have to be for the long run. Just for 6-10 weeks for treatment. Safe and effective. :)

·
Registered
7,042 Posts

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Nothing will rid ich 100% that is reef safe. IMO the ONLY methods are proper QT in hypo (1.010SG) and/or copper. My suggestion is to set up a quick and cheap QT, it doesnt have to be for the long run. Just for 6-10 weeks for treatment. Safe and effective. :)
thats true but for some people who can not tare down the tank to catch a fish or even have enough room to qt them this is the next best thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I definitely don't have any money or room left to set up a HT. It's something I'd like to look into in the future though. I've started using Vertonex which is supposed to be reef safe. The ich has spread to my skunk clowns (argh!) but hopefully this will nip it in the bud.

re keeping tangs of the same species, it was a funny (but not) thing. My sister asked/ paid for one and they put three in the bag. Aquarium is miles away. I'll wait to see if they recover and then either take two of them to a closer shop or hit the Australian forums to see if anyone local wants one. Definitely can't have three blue tangs in my tank for much longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts