The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The blue tang i had who had ich was promptly treated and was released into display today. Although there are absulutley no white spots on him from any angle, he continuse to scrape both sudes of himself against a rock. I am 100% sure there are no spots in the gills either. What could cause him to be doing this?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I havnt experienced this in my saltwater tank yet but my Jack Dempsies rub themselves on gravel and rock all the time. They are perfectly healthy and spawn almost nonstop. He probly just has an itchy back. Just keep an eye on them and as long as they are eating and active dont worry.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tim- there are small black indentations where the white spots used to be..... ??????

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tims said:
remember they were a parasite the was attached to him, so it leaves a very small hole were it attached to him. they most likly are bothering him. keep an eye on the rubbing , sometimes this can lead to a bacteria infection
ok but i have a uv so chances of bact infection are scarse
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Not sure how you treated your tang for ich. The two most common and effective treatments for ich require a prolonged treatment with hyposalinity or copper with a QT tank. The "prolonged" often means about a month which not only kills the ich but also allows the open sores created by the ich to mostly heal.

Further ... when ich get into the ST its just about impossible to eliminate them ... the major exception is if you leave the ST without fish for about 5-6 weeks ... this works because ich need a fish to perpetuate their life cycle and a fishless tank eventually kills the ich. As such .. people who are serious about eliminating ich will QT all of the fish (showing signs of ich or not) and let the tank go fallow.

If you put your fish back into an infected tank that has not gone the "fishless route" odds are you just put him back into an ich infested tank and he now has ich.

Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts