The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey guys, not sure if this is a problem but i thought i would mention it anyway.
Recently I have noticed that my blue tang has been breathing kind of fast throughout the day. He still eats like a friggen pig (its not even funny he need to go on a a diet, hes getting fat) but for some reason his breathing is much faster than it normally is and his mouth is opening and closing as if hes gasping for air. Another weird thing is that he seems more interested in the right glass of my tank lately and swims up and down really quickly which i think is tiring him out. The funny thing is that hes been in there for about a year now so im not sure if he just noticed his reflection or something but its weirding me out lol. Granted i have always fed them from that side of the tank, but he never used to stay there at all times swimming up and down. My other fish seem normal and at times my yellow tang just sits there looking at the blue tang probably thinking "what u doing bro."

could he be breathing heavily from overeating? he does look quite plump haha
I think im probably going to cut down on the feeding for the next couple of days just to see if he will calm down

Also, i should mention, the amount air in my water should be fine since i run a protein skimmer and an overflow.

·
Captain Obvious
1,188 Posts
how big is the tank and how many other fish are in there with it?

·
Administrator
47,306 Posts
First off please watch the language, I realize you are frustrated, bt try to take a deep breath, OK you blue tang is stressing. WHICH ONE, a Paracanthus hippatus or regal ( blue tang0 an an atlantic blue( Acanthurus Coerleous) please be mre specific. Yu atate that this one may have ben in the tank with the Yellow Tang. How Long, , what size tank, how big are both fish, any new changes in tank or new fish?
Really we do not have squat to go on, would you call the dr and say my kid is sick and no other info and ask what to do?

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
I went back and looked at some of your other threads and see you have a 90g. It would appear that he is very likely stressed (as others are alluding to as well). More info will help.

Agree with Doug as well, we are a family friendly forum. We try not to censor, but if needed we will.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh sry sry I thought I had edited that last part out :hammerhead:

its a blue hippo tang, who has always been very healthy. Please don't yell at me about the tangs in a 90 gallon... I have heard of the problems it may cause but I know that I take very good care of them especially since they're on the smaller side (I plan on upgrade to a 150 or 180 soon). My rock work is quite elaborate and they normally move in and out of large holes all day and I have never had problems with getting them to eat or had any problems with ick. In fact, when my yellow was introduced, it started eating within about 10 minutes, I have never seen that before haha.

back to the questions u guys asked.
"How Long, , what size tank, how big are both fish, any new changes in tank or new fish?"

the 2 tangs have been together for about 3 months now, they never fight, other than the occasional scuffle (lasts about 2 seconds), and when they eat they never get territorial. Even when they eat off of my small algae clip, they're side by side picking at it together. the yellow is about 3 inches and the blue is about 2.5 inches long
The only changes are that I have been dosing calcium with Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium twice a week to try and get my calcium up for my new hard coral, and that I have recently reduced my photo period by a good amount because i notice that my LPS were shrinking up a bit half way through the day. <-- hmm maybe he got a bit freaked out by the shorter day.

the other fish in the tank are all small: 2 clowns, a banggai cardinal, and a pink spot goby

Other than that, my parameters are all good other than my calcium which im working on atm.

once again, really sorry about the censor, I didn't mean to sound frustrated at all, if anything I find his behavior a little funny. I have seen stressed fish, and for some reason this doesn't resemble that to me. I dunno, u guys are the experts, I have only been at this for a year and a half and I know that I still have a lot to learn

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

·
night owl
671 Posts
Sees his reflection in the glass tape something to the outside of the tank and see if the behavior stops

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Sees his reflection in the glass tape something to the outside of the tank and see if the behavior stops
I doubt this as view are different in the water looking out.

Check for aggression between fish at nighttime. I know the smallest recommended tank size is about 90g for just one yellow tang.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This method works to calm down my blue tang, Dr. Nibbles.

I rescued him as a juvenile from a fish shop. He was torn apart by some other fish and was near death. I know they need a little over 90 gallons, but I couldn't bear to leave him there.

However, I keep my tank very sparsely populated to keep him happy and he always is, except for these crazed bouts once every 3 months or less. I've ruled out stray voltage or noise so it is truly a mystery to me. He is mostly a happy go lucky fish in a mixed reef tank with only a mandarin goby pair, a sea cucumber, and small sea urchin.

If this behavior starts, I test my water manually to find any possible causes for discomfort. Every time the results have been nothing short of excellent. I have a Seneye monitor on the tank and consider myself pretty OCD about my parameters.

I use OXO clips to block the front of the tank with a beach towel and instantly he's calmly nipping at the rocks for algae or swimming in and out of his cave like he usually does.

I keep a salinity of 1.025-1.026 or 35-36ppt. Does anyone know if there are parameters that are more or less comfortable for blue tangs? Temperature prefs? I keep the standard 78 degrees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
90g, as I said, when I found him torn up at a fish shop and didn't want to leave him there. I have aquascaped the tank to leave a good 10" of swimming from the surface, so no tall obstructive coral, and there are several caves to give him a feeling of security. Also, the tank is sparsely populated and the only other fish are a manadarin gobies.

This has probably only happened three times in the year I have kept him and I think one of those times he was angry that I had just moved some rocks. He's territorial and if you move stuff around in the tank too much he does a sort of "body slam" against your hand.

·
Administrator
47,306 Posts
I was going to mention the necro post, having said that a 90g for an atlantic blue is marginal, for a regal it is not big enough

1 - 19 of 19 Posts