The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

I've had a blue tang for probably 8 months. Recently it seems that the blue color is getting very dark almost like getting black. The fish seems to act just fine, swimming around. Recent changes included addition of MH lighting and cutting way back on feeding to control phosphates. Anyone have any ideas?

Sean

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Do Tangs change color as they mature like some other species of fish?

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
most tangs (not all), but especially Hippo tang's, need a good majority of their diet to be algae/vegitation based. Without it, the tend to get (as G~ said) malnutritioned, and become suceptable to hole in the head, ick, etc.

However, I've never heard of them turning black. Looks kind of neat! But that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Get him to start eatin' nori, and see if it improves.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I feed mine alot of dry algae I add some strips to the tank and they go crazy....Although there is one problem I have with the hippo tangs and thats hiding and getting stuck..anyone else have that problem?

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
funny you brought that up. I just found mine yesterday morning, stuck between the CLS pipe and the glass. I moved the pipe, and he had a big WHITE mark where the pipe was against him. Couple hours later, he was fine...back to all blue. Had him 6 months, NEVER seen this before.

So you're saying this is going to become a habit?

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I have had one die in the tank that got caught in between a rock...the lfs had one 3 years and it got caught in some rocks and he died instantly....

this seems only to be a problem with a Hippo for some reason?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I have no idea what could cause that. Mine lost his color on his head but once I bumped up the veggies it came back
Patrick

1 - 20 of 28 Posts