The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I think I made a mistake and deleted this thread earlier because I know Cyberchef posted so here it is again!!;)

I have on two previous tries to get a blue sponge to grow in my reef tank but to know avail! I saw a very small piece in the LFS about three weeks ago(nickel size) and paid $5 for it and thought I would try one more time!

The third time seems to be the charm as it has grown to over a quarter size and looks healthy and I like the color it presents in the tank! Sponges are good for water purification as well! Here is a pic of it!:)

Attachments

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Sweet Johnny....

I've got a purple one growing along with one of my Acro frags...

Colored sponges really do give the tank a lot of color and personality... I wish ya the best in keeping that critter happy... (oh, and I'd reccomend a nice shaded spot for it)..

·
Registered
680 Posts
Cool Looking Sponge!

I'm just hitching a ride here! :D I plan to set-up two refugiums one above the tank as a source of pods for the main tank. And a second one in the sump for nitrate export. :beer:
In the sump fuge, I plan to use sponges, scallops, & feather dusters, & other filter feeders along with feather caulerpa, to export nitrates.

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Wow..I love the color! Bless Andy and Danielle's hearts..they have a blue sponge for me that I need to pick up. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
have blue, orange, yellow, white and purple. The yellow really looks vibrant and alive.

tip:those decorator crabs really suck! they pick sponges and decorate themselves with it!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hopefully this might be a possible opportunity for someone to educate me on sponges, I have what appear to be several types in my tank and I know nothing about them.

1) a white sponge/ivory sponge spreading fairly rapidly in my tank, it is not very attractive but I have no idea where it is going so I have just been observing it. It is growing along my LR and starting to bind a couple pieces together (vs. growing taller)...doesn't seem to mind light
2) several patches of sponge that is a shade of red with a pinkish/purple hue to it, it seems to be much smoother on its surface than the white/ivory colored ones and grows much slower. This one too is growing along rock vs. out from it and prefers shade.
3) a couple patches of yellow sponge about the size of an eraser head, also growing very slow. Growing on the underside of LR (in the shade)
4) purchased an orange/red sponge from LFS about a year ago...it is similar and possibly a tree sponge but it only has 3 limbs and is about 20" tall (more like a cactus?)...this has probably grown 2" since I have owned it and does not seem to mind the 400W Radiums too much :)

Are these a good thing to have in an SPS tank? Is this an indication that I am overfeeding (my antheas are little pigs)? Any advise keeping them or getting rid of them?

TIA

- scott -

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
I wouldn't think that having them int he tank is a bad thing. If for nothing else, if they are somewhat attractive, they assist with a small part of filtration. IMO, I'd rather have sponges soaking up excess nutrients than algae... :)

I've also got a bunch of sponges growing, mostly in the sump. I'd say there are about 30 sponges (combined in the tank, and in the sump) that are whitishm, conical shaped ones. There is also a purple one growing under an SPS frag I have. The interesting thing about the ppurple one is that it appears to have started as a white one that started under the rock on the frag, and as it reached the shaded are under the SPS, it's purple. I'll try and get a pic of this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i noticed someone had posted about keeping your blue sponge shaded , i was told that as well when i first had mine , but i've moved mine out ,still in the botton third of the tank , but under 400 watt halide and it's probably double in size over the past half year or so . They seem to do fine almost anywhere i 've had them

-Russ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts