The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can I really put a blue ringed octopus in my 40 gallon?? Would I want to do that??

·
Registered
318 Posts
reefworried124 said:
can I really put a blue ringed octopus in my 40 gallon?? Would I want to do that??
no, it would eat everything. that tank is too small too, and you need to keepp it covered, because they love to get out

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Ditto on what was said above. Also despite the fact that they turn up in the trade from time to time, it is illegal to import one. I worked at a store that got one "by surprise"... I swear once these creatures enter the country they become a literal "hot potato" through the chain of custody until some unsuspecting retailer (and hobbyist!?) ends up with it.

They are beautiful animals to be sure, short-lived - 2 years approximately. I was fortunate enough to witness the one my former employer ended up with, tend her eggs until they hatched. As is normal with cephlapods, she died hours later. The babies did not survive either as we did not have the means to feed them.

Their bite is lethal - gorgeous creature but definitely NOT worth the risk.

Jenn

·
Registered
272 Posts
uh - my suggestion of substituting your great white shak with the blue ring octopus was a joke - it is IMO about as appropriate as the Great White in a home tank......Sorry if it was misunderstood.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts