The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was in a LFS yesterday and I saw an octopus on display in a little 5 gal nano by the cash register.

When I aproached I noticed it was distintly marked, and the tag said "Blue Ringed Octopus"
Being there to look and not to buy, I didn't have any books in the car, but it certainly appeared to be authentic, I ran home and looked.

I am puzzled, is this a common thing? as I understand it a Lionfish can make you sick, and hurts like (CENSORED) but Blue Rings are uber deadly.
We can't own a Cobra here in Colorado w/o a special permit, but an octopus?

Tom

·
Retired Wanderer
17,270 Posts
Is that the one from the movie Octopussy?

Aside from being deadly and impossible to keep there should be no problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just came across this guy in one of my books this afternoon. It was highlighted as a warning....it read something like this....

Most octopi carry venom to imobilize thier prey. The Blue Ringed Octopus makes up for its small size with potent venom. Many un-educated swimmers and divers have handled this creature and have been fatally bitten. Care in captivity must be taken to extremes understanding that if the octopus does manage to escape, a bite to a pet or a child could result in a fatality.

:bigeek:

I would keep away bu that is just my 2 cents....

Chris

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh Believe me, there is no way I would buy it, I was more stunned, that it was available, but ya know? I am sure it will sell.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I've heard/read that they are illegal to import (Jerel?) but they do turn up in the trade from time to time.

In a species tank they aren't particularly hard to keep - the shop I used to work at got one by "surprise" (or at least that's the story the owner stuck with), and it lived until the eggs she was carrying, hatched, and she died as is normal for Octopus.

I actually saw the eggs hatching - it was an amazing sight to see. Of course the babies did not survive... the mother was dead within a few hours of the hatch.

Because of the danger they pose, IMO they are NOT a suitable pet - the risks are far too great for a "luxury" pet... but they certainly are a beautiful, intelligent and fascinating creature.

Jenn

·
5,916 Posts
BTW -- I wouldn't want to be a store owner selling one of those. Imagine the law suit if somebody unknowingly buys one and gets bitten?

Enough hobbyists make uninformed and inappropriate choices every day, and the usual consequences are a wasted life and money down the drain... this kind of stupid mistake can have devastating consequences all around.

If a store owner is crazy enough to sell one of these, he'd better have the buyer sign a liability waiver, AND he'd better hope his insurance is paid up and he's got a good attorney. Surely it's only a matter of time before the unthinkable happens.

OK must get out of "work mode"... :funny:

Jenn

·
Registered
491 Posts
Come down here, take as many as you want!
While beautiful, they are considered somewhat of a pest here. Many of our beaches have warning signs because of their presence in our waters.

The venom they carry is lethal enough to kill 8 adults without too much effort...

·
Administrator
46,859 Posts
But what if you are only mad at 6 or so ;), then again theres the sea wasps and big hungry fish, pluse the big crocs, snakes and spiders with attitudes, man what a place, do you have enough beer there ;)

·
Registered
662 Posts
A LFS around my area recieved one in their shipment by accident. The owner would not even think about selling it, and tried to give it back to the wholesaler. I guess the costs of shipping, and restocking it were more than it was worth, so it was destroyed. As he told us, "If you get bit, you find a chair, sit down, and wait to die."

·
Registered
491 Posts
Doug1 said:
But what if you are only mad at 6 or so ;), then again theres the sea wasps and big hungry fish, pluse the big crocs, snakes and spiders with attitudes, man what a place, do you have enough beer there ;)
Thats why we have so much beer!
Alot of the worlds most deadly animals all in one place.
The only ones that really bother me are the spiders. Im not afraid of them, but they are so small, yet so deadly, and they tend to come into our homes to get out of the rain, cold, etc...
I dont like the idea of my daughter playing with one by mistake.
Gotta love all the good stuff though...

·
5,916 Posts
manderson0805 said:
A LFS around my area recieved one in their shipment by accident. The owner would not even think about selling it, and tried to give it back to the wholesaler. I guess the costs of shipping, and restocking it were more than it was worth, so it was destroyed. As he told us, "If you get bit, you find a chair, sit down, and wait to die."
A shame for the animal, but IMO probably the most responsible thing to do. My employer got one "by accident" too. I sometimes wonder if it they end up being a "hot potato" through the chain of custody?

Jenn

·
Registered
491 Posts
JennM said:
A shame for the animal, but IMO probably the most responsible thing to do. My employer got one "by accident" too. I sometimes wonder if it they end up being a "hot potato" through the chain of custody?

Jenn
Youd have to hope someone liked him, and had a little tank for him to live in...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think they're amazing....it pulled a crab out of it's shell faster than I even thought it could move...plus, the coloration of the rings when your face is up to the glass...how they pulsate from nothing, to bright blue rings...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts