The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a little bit of sand in my aquarium, but i need to add more. i have half a centimeter of sand. (i know its not much) and i made the mistake of buying hermit crabs and sand today, and i forgot to add the sand before the hermit crabs. i do not know if they will be fine if i just put in the sand. it is my only invertebrate. i need a response asap please. i am just a 14 year old new to aquariums.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh...well, i took them out for safety anywhays. i'm putting them back in. is there any possibility of them killing each other?

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
oh...well, i took them out for safety anywhays. i'm putting them back in. is there any possibility of them killing each other?
if theyre hungry enough ya. ive had a larger 1 hold on 2 a smaller 1s shell for over a week trying 2 kill it. theyre cannabilistic so ya good chance.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
it should be fine unless its like less than an inch big. i have a 4 inch rock nem in my sandbed and the crabs leave it alone. the crabs will only kill things if there are 2 many of them in the system and food runs out quickly. tho they will kill snails for their shells

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ohhh kkk,,,i accidentally mixed the crabs up the ones i got were red legged, not blue legged hermit crabs. i thought they were the same.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
you can get a big glass jar and clean it (hot water, vinegar) then place it top up in the tank, that way you can put the crabs in that for right now, then just throw in some food, and siphon it out when they are done eating. thats what I did when I found out that the red legs eat the condy nems, I thought I killed it, and got a second condy...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i can't take out the crabs because 10/15 are inside of the live rocks i build. i got them because i had a lot of algae on the rocks, and a lot more on the sand, but when i added the sand it was all buried. also, the yellow tang i bought alsoo enjoys eating the algae on the ground. i need to somehow take out the anemone, but i don't know how to isolate it and take it out of the tank.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
here is what i did. it was attached to a small rock. i tok the rock, and i put it on the very top of my bridge. (i used my live rock to make two very fascinating tunnels. i put it on top of the first one.) the top of the first one is basically it''s own little platform. unreachable by any hermit crabs unless they can clumb upside down. also, it likes the place because it is still there. i placed it there 2 days ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts