The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused. (nothing new)

Ecoxotic tech support states that their RGB is a colour temp of 8,000K.
Then colours are added to achieve the different hues, (up to 16 different colours) yet remain 8,000K. This confuses me :confused: . These colours are selected via remote control, and fade. How the colours are actually applied is a good question

I have:
3-PAR38 (12K Aquarium LED) 3-6500K White 2-455nm 21W, and
3- PAR38 (Royal Blue Aquarium LED) 5-455nm Blue 21W
I'll be getting 2-48" Panorama modules when they come out.

I'm guessing their 455 nm blue is not truly 455 nm
based on this statement from them. Rather using a blue lense over a white diode. So do I need to incorperate/supplement with true actinic for a reef??? With say T5 true 420 nm????

I'd planned on being fully LED illuminated. There's more to light spectrum
than meets the eye, and this just may be one of those threads that belongs in TTT

·
Registered
404 Posts
Color temperature is not a reliable information, it just tells how it looks to the eye, without enough information about the actual spectrum.

From the look of them, I believe they are using RGB 1 watt leds. So they have three different leds under each lens (Red,Green,Blue). By varying each color separately they can make it LOOK like any color, but, as Nate said, the spectrum itself remains equally limited. Each of the three leds can produce only a small part of the spectrum, with large gaps between them.
- Much lower efficiency compared to Blue+White led systems, so very little PAR.
- True actinic leds exist, but cost a fortune right now. RGB leds usually have the blue at 465nm.
- White+Blue usually have a much wider spectrum than RGB.

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the PAR38's I have utilize 5 cree LEDs and power is listed at 21W, which I
reckon to be power draw not output. I believe the 455nm is just a coloured lense/cover. Is this sufficient?

Problem with what I have is the all blue ones are fine...alone. With only 6
over a 60" tank, (3 @ 12,000K) it's really going to be noticebale where ones coverage starts and the other begins. They're kinda tight spot lighting
for punch down deeper. I angle them and walla, the spot lighting is reduced drasticly. So I ultimately need more PAR38's, and I'm good with that.
What I plan to do to fill in the gaps for now, and this may eliminate the need for
more 38's, is to use the new 48" panorama strip by Ecoxotic. Paired with the reflector that doubles the light output. This should give a nice even coverage.
And Aquaphytic, since you mentioned the reduced PAR in the RGB diodes, we won't be going that route. Thank you! Rather the 12,000K. That was to be my Christmas present, but probably won't be released till Jan. 2012.

Nate, hopefully we're on the same "wave length". They told me regardless of colour, that it was still 8,000K, just a different colour. When I explained my confusion, he told me (rep talking to tech support) that he couldn't explain it, but that's the way it is...I'm still confused. It still matters though even though I'm not going with the RGB, because the blue @ 455nm is still in question as to whether it is sufficient for a reef, or do I need to consider supplementation with flourescent T5's???

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as far as supplements, I think that will be up to your corals, some corals seem to do fine and great, even with the small wavelength bands..
paulb is the coral whisperer here, not me.
There'll be so many different parameters when I put the coral in my tank
(using his water and rock will help) that I'll never know what may be wrong with the animals. The lighting will deff be the most crucial parameter. I consider lighting a parameter anyway. I'll just not know
without the coral whisperer, what may be wrong and which way to adjust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts