The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a blue hippo tang from my local fish store.. It was in a copper system tank.. I brought it home and acclimated and it was doing great for about a week and then it got what I though was ich.. I started treatment and seemed to have cleared up. I want to add though that none of my other fish got it.. It died yesterday after it started clearing up. The fish was eating but you could tell it was thin.. I tried upping the feedings but apparently unsuccessful. My question is, is it common for blue tangs to get ich?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Tangs are ich magnets. A fish's slime coat protects them and when stressed their slime coat lessens. Tangs already have a thin slime coat so when they get stressed (usually from being added to inappropriately sized systems and/or poor water quality) it's easy for ich to attach. If you put him in the biocube from your name this he was definitely in too small of a tank - www.liveaquaria.com is a great place to research the needs of any fish you're interested in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When I got my blue tang, he got ich within the first week too. it cleared up on its own--cleaner shrimp also help, but mainly, what I learned, was salt water ich while not good by any means, is not as deadly as freshwater...I bought a garlic supplement as well and dunked the food in it.

my question for blue tang health is---my first year I didn't go a good job in keeping phosphates and nitrates down---I am doing better now but the blue tang lost its sharp coloration and is spikey on the top----does anyone on here have any experience in bringing back the color and what did they do---I am trying everything, but patience may be the key, I don't know--any suggestions

·
Registered
34 Posts
Blue Tang has Ich

Am I going in the proper direction? REEF tank-Yellow Tang, Mandarin Goby, 6 line, couple clowns, Red shrimp, engineer and oh yes, a 1 week new Blue Tang that has ich day 2. Started soaking food in Kent Garlic and put second dose of Kordon Ich attack. BT is only fish with ich. Everyone is eating 2-3 times a day. Turned off PS. Any idea when I will see results??

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Am I going in the proper direction? REEF tank-Yellow Tang, Mandarin Goby, 6 line, couple clowns, Red shrimp, engineer and oh yes, a 1 week new Blue Tang that has ich day 2. Started soaking food in Kent Garlic and put second dose of Kordon Ich attack. BT is only fish with ich. Everyone is eating 2-3 times a day. Turned off PS. Any idea when I will see results??
I respectfully request that you start your own discussion thread rather that "hi-jacking" someone else's. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Anything that claims to kill ich and be reef safe is pretty much a waste of money. If the fish are in a healthy environment with no/low stress and eating a good variety of quality food then they can likely fight off the ich themselves. The only real way to kill the ich is to put the fish in a hospital tank and treat with copper or hypo salinity and level the main tank free of fish for 12 weeks so the ich starves out.

And yes, for future reference it's always best to start you're own thread so you're sure to get answers focused on your problem.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to "hi-Jack" someone's thread.. Geez.. New at this! Thanks for the heads up!
ChiWing, so all the posts I read are not accurate? So many claim those steps work.
MY bad...I didn't realize your post was in line with the topic. At first it seemed a totally different subject and not related till I read further down...my apology.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to "hi-Jack" someone's thread.. Geez.. New at this! Thanks for the heads up!
ChiWing, so all the posts I read are not accurate? So many claim those steps work.
I think many confuse the regular life cycle of ich with a "cure". Part of the cycle is ich dropping from the fish, so people see the fish clearing up and think "yay! he's cured!" And probably just assume that whatever they put in the tank caused it. But the ich is still there, just now in the water and the sand/rocks multiplying and gearing up for the next round. If the fish is healthier/the slime coat is stronger when they try to attach again, then they may not be able to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry about your loss. Fish that display ich are far along in the lifecycle and while people do have luck getting rid of ich sometimes the fish can't handle the stress. Medications only kill the free floating part of the lifecycle and not the cyst that is visible on the fish. I haven't had ich in my saltwater aquarium, but I have had it in my freshwater aquarium so research what you need to do to make sure that your other fish don't get it. For freshwater it was meds, daily water changes, and higher temperature. In the future, quarantine tanks can really help save the heartbreak of losing multiple fish. Even a rubbermaid with a heater and aqua clear filter can work as a qt. In the qt tank you can cure any diseases or parasites that may have infected the fish and get him eating without the competition of tankmates. Keep trying and implement the things that you learn! All of us have to learn things the hard way at some point in this hobby.

·
Blue Tang
1,307 Posts
When I got my blue tang, he got ich within the first week too. it cleared up on its own--cleaner shrimp also help, but mainly, what I learned, was salt water ich while not good by any means, is not as deadly as freshwater...I bought a garlic supplement as well and dunked the food in it.

my question for blue tang health is---my first year I didn't go a good job in keeping phosphates and nitrates down---I am doing better now but the blue tang lost its sharp coloration and is spikey on the top----does anyone on here have any experience in bringing back the color and what did they do---I am trying everything, but patience may be the key, I don't know--any suggestions
Ich is under a fish's skin, don't fool yourself by thinking any cleaner shrimp will eat ich, it's a huge myth and let's just squash that info right here lol.
As for tangs, just don't get them if you don't have an established tank that can suit it's need for space. You need need need to quarantine with copper and a freshwater dip for all fish, not just tangs, but also have a variety of food available for your fish, tangs need both spirulina and nori along with brine and mysis shrimp for your tang. Proper diet and quarantining tangs will go a long way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Blue Tang has Ich

Great info, thanks superelephant! I treated with Kordon (don't think it did anything) and fed with garlic. Everyone was eating great anyhow so not sure that was necessary. I did catch the little fella. Bought some spring water. PH and temp the same, first did a 2 minute dip then a 5 minute and all the ich you could SEE was gone. Bought him a little breeding net so I could put him back in the tank but have the ability to catch him easy. After several days no ich so I released him back in the tank. I hate to say it but by what I have learned.. QT is only way to go! Eventually I will have to remove all my fish and leave the 55 gal with no fish for 60 days so all the ich is gone! Should have done more reading prior! Hope people learn from my mistake!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Blue Tang has Ich

I am so pissed... BT ich spots are coming back... I see two options. Leave the tank alone and the ich will stay and possibly infect my other fish or pull all the fish, treat with Cupamine and leave DT for 60 days.. Wish I had more options?? What if I just get ride of the BT?? Think the other fish will be OK? Any advise would be appreciated!

·
Registered
74 Posts
*cough*
Do you have a quarantine tank? What are your water params, salinity and temperature? Do you notice any odd behaviors in the inhabitants? Is any of the equipment failing? Could there be any aggression that stressed out the hippo tang? It's crucial that you consider all of the things that can cause a fish to get sick, so you can hopefully eradicate the cause of the ich. And you also have to consider that the hippo tang, like all other tangs, is very susceptible to the parasite.
-FlameAngelfish:goldfish:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Essentially you have ich in your tank. Your other fish already have it even though they are not showing signs. The only way to treat them is to treat all of them with a proven ich treatment (copper, hypo salinity, or tank transfer). You then have to leave the tank fish less for 72 days.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Blue Tang has Ich

I just upgraded my sump from 10 gal to 20 gal. Petco is having there $1.00 per gallon sale.
Now I will have a 10 for QT.
Water parameters are all good and nothing else has any signs of ich or stress. They are ALL eating well... Even the BT.
Some say leave it alone, some say pull all the fish for 60-75 days and treat with cupramine.. Not sure what to do...
I am going to throw a large sponge filter in my sump in case I want to fire up the 10 as a QT tank.

·
Blue Tang
1,307 Posts
A blue hippo tang in a 55 is a lot of stress dude just saying they need a tank about 2 or 3 times that size, even if they're small, that's probably I decent source of the problem. Small tangs tend to be scared of anything so stress is really easy to turn into ich

1 - 20 of 33 Posts