The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Blue Damsel has a "fluff ball" on its dorsal fin. Its been there about 2 weeks. Its actually white. There are 2 small solid white spots on his tail. What is it????

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Nicole, if I could see a better pic's of the white spots I might be able to help. I am blind as a bat LOL

If you don't have a cleaner shrimp, I would recommend one. They take care of most of these little white spots.

If you want, send me an e-mail with a better pic and I will blow it up to see. it's terrible getting old. you can send to either of the e-mail you have. [email protected] might be a better one to use.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Buehtz...no stupid questions here..ok?
Not all shrimps are cleaners.

There is a skunk cleaner shrimp, which is most common. They are red on their backs with a solid white line all the way down...hench the "skunk" cleaner.

Then ther eis the Blood Shrimp or Fire Shrimp. These shrimp are a very very deep red with seveal white spots on their upper bodies, by their head.

Then you go to peppermints, pistol, mantias (?) etc.

I 'll post a pic of the skunk cleaner shrimp

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
This shrimp is by far the most popular cleaner shrimp there is for the aquarium in my opinion! Peppermint shrimp will sometimes clean as one has got on my hand along with the cleaner shrimp and was picking on my finger.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Johnny never said what type of shrimp that was that he posted... Squid you said that yours was a Blood Shrimp what is the name of the best cleaner shrimp? Blood, Camelback, Coral Banded, Pepermint and I am sure I could list more but those are the ones that come to mind

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is also known as the Indo-Pacific White-Banded Cleaner Shrimp, Indo-Pacific White-Striped Cleaner Shrimp, and Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp. It may also be called the Red Skunk Cleaner Shrimp because of the very distinct two bright red stripes surrounding one white stripe running down its back. There are two species usually referred to as striped cleaner shrimp, the L. amboinensis with white spots at the end of the tail and, from the Atlantic, the L. grabhami that has no spots. The L. amboinensis is one of the most popular shrimp for the home aquarium.:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh man....I worked all day to get that shot. I'll TRY tomorrow. I killed the batteries in my camera. Yes, I have a cleaner shrimp but he's getting fat and lazy(just like me). And I wish I could get rid of the dam* thing, but have you ever tried to catch one? I just wanna know how long its gonna take to die!!! Yes, I said it...DIE!!!! He's not nearly as cute as he was when he cycled my tank :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
thanks for all of the fast replys.... I curently only have a 75g FOWLR. I have about 120lbs of lr, choc chip star, Condy Anemone, Percula Clownfish, Pshodochromis, and a green chromis. Do I need a cleaner shrimp or can it hold off? I know that it is really nice to have them with Tangs and I do want to get (soon) a Regal Tang (lfs gets one in a week and is sold by the time I get there) and a Hawiian Yellow Tang.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
You can wait on the cleaner shrimp until your ready to get one. My copperband butterfly was really moody and scratching on the rocks and I am sure it was parasites on it's body but after putting in a cleaner shrimp the copperband is so much more relaxed and fat and healthy and it periodically goes to the cleaning station of the shrimp and the shrimp hops on and does it's service and away goes the copperband. Love to watch this inter action between species!:)

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would say cleaner shrimp at the lastest when you put in your first tang. Tangs are known to almost always get an outbreak of ick.

If you can swing it, I would get the shrimp in just to get him settled before the tang...sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear.... that's my best advise. Others may have different opinions.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
In my experience I had a large yellow tang and it had a little ick and I got the cleaner shrimp about a month later and put it in the tank and the yellow tang knew right off what this guy was for and went right over and turned on it's side and the shrimp jumped on and cleaned for about 5 minutes!:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
well its not that I cant go out and drop the $ on a shrimp... just didnt want him starving for food if none of my current fish would benifit from him. What would be the going price for a skunk cleaner? I would think it would be $5-$10 am I right?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.