The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put a small clean up crew in my tank about 4 weeks ago . I have a 60 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. The tank is cylced and everything but my crabs shells seem to be losing its color. They are starting to become white almost. My snails all seem to be fine just my crabs. Anyone know what could be causing this?

My PH is 8.2 nitrite 0 nitrate is between 0 and 5 ammonia 0

My phosphates are also fine. My gh and kh are both at 180 (according to those api test strips i have since read those are not to accurate)

·
Captain Obvious
1,188 Posts
the only time i personally had stuff inside my tank turn whiteish was 8 years ago when i first was learning about SW tanks.... i used a copper/brass elbow-fitting on one of the pipes/plumbing. the copper/brass metal in constant contact with the SW made all my LR turn whiteish. rookie mistake on my part not knowing you cant have any metal like that in contact with the SW.

in your post plz be more specific on what is losing color.....

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Sometimes live rock will turn white soon after putting it in the tank. It can be dirty and look darker than it really is. Live rock base is calcium carbonate, which is white or ivory white. Once all the dirt dissolves and all the dead organic matter gets eaten you will see more of the base rock. After a while everything will grow back and the rick will color in. Same with sand.

What else is turning white?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing that is turning white is the shells of my red and blue leg crabs which is why i thought it was weird . my Mexican and turbo snails seem to be fine.

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Well, I think it depends on the shell the Hermit crab is in. My Blue legs like smaller cerinth shells, my white legs love florida cerinths shells, and my red legs like whatever they fit in.. some shells are naturally white and maybe some snails cleaned off whatever was on them. One of my hermits last night was stuck in place for an hour while a snail cleaned the shell..

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
could it possibly be dying coralline from where they were housed before? Did they have coralline on them when you got them?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts