The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a current satellite light that uses a blue light with 1 460 nm and 1 420nm per bulb and replaced with 2 blueline 10k 65w ultra-actinic bulbs ($25 Each @LFS)...will there be any drastic difference?
or should i return and order the current bulbs?
there are 2 - 10k white and 2 - 10k blue in my fixture

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
someone has to know ...wheres a dummhik or a fat guy when you need one ...lol

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
So, your question is a bit confusing. 10k (and I assume you mean 10000K, which is a better way to label the bulb) is definitely a white bulb, but you say you have it in white and blue. These are also power compacts, correct? Also, you say you have a 10k ultra-actinic, but by definition that's contradictory.

Can you verify what bulbs you have and which one's you replaced? It's normally labeled on the bulb.

To speak generically, white/yellow colors typically have more PAR output, so switching from blue to white is likely to increase light output, but PCs in general are relatively limited compared to other lighting solutions so I would say that it will NOT make that big of a difference.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, your question is a bit confusing. 10k (and I assume you mean 10000K, which is a better way to label the bulb) is definitely a white bulb, but you say you have it in white and blue. These are also power compacts, correct? Also, you say you have a 10k ultra-actinic, but by definition that's contradictory.

Can you verify what bulbs you have and which one's you replaced? It's normally labeled on the bulb.

To speak generically, white/yellow colors typically have more PAR output, so switching from blue to white is likely to increase light output, but PCs in general are relatively limited compared to other lighting solutions so I would say that it will NOT make that big of a difference.
ill try this again i have a current satellite that uses 2 dual blue and 2 white 10000k power compact bulbs

the blue ones that came with it are 65w dual actinic (460nm/420nm)
the ones i replaced the dual blues with are 65w blueline ultra actinic (not dual) ....is that ok to do? ...better or worse?

also one of my new bulbs takes 30 mins or so (varies) to come on and the other comes on as soon as i hit the switch ....is there a break in period for these or do i have a defective bulb?

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I don't think it will be a big difference. The repklacement bulb has both "tubes" the same spectrum instead of a "blend" like the old bulb. Never really understood why they made a "blend" in the first place. Power compacts usually take a few minutes to get up to maximum light output while they warm up - that's normal.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
:agree: It should be fine. If you looked closely at the dual actinic lamp when it was running, you would notice that one lamp is blue and the other is purple. That is based on the spectrum of light they are putting out. You more than likely have switched it to straight blue which is fine and the way most run their T5 setups.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts