The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just thought I would share my new nano. I would like to hear comments and suggestions. This tank was started on February 4th.

Size:
10 Gallon drilled with two 3/4" bulkheads
Lighting:
72w PC with 36w Actinic & 36w 10k
Pump Flow Rate:
Mag 3 return pump (3ft of head pressure) 275gph
MicroJet 60gph
Filtration:
5 gallon sump with LR, LS, and macro

The substrate is 30lbs of Fiji Pink AragAlive and 10lbs of Reef Sand Aragalive.

Inhabitants:
2 BW Ocellaris Clown
1 Turbo Snail
5 Blue Leg Hermits
3 Scarlet Leg Hermits
2 Bumble Bee Snails
4 Turbo Astrea Snails
Corals:
Green Mushroom (Actinodiscus)
Anthelia (Anthelia)
Closed Brain (Favites)
Silver Pusling Xenia (Xenia elongata)
Green Star Polyps (Pachyclavularia)
Orange Starburst (Briareum)
Spaghetti Finger Leather (Sinularia flexibis)
Button Polyps (Protopalythoa)
Colt (Alcyonium)
Short Tentacled Plate (Fungia)
Sun Coral (Tubastraea)

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Nothing to be embarrassed about in that :) Looks nice! Maybe stocked a bit fast - but as long as you keep on top of it, you're set.

Jenn

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I filled it with water from an established tank - put in only LS - and filled the sump with LR rubble instead of bioballs, more LS, and calupera from a 3 year old tank. I didn't have much of a cycle, but did not add fish initially. When I did add fish I separated their introduction to te tank by about 7 days and used Seachem's Stability each morning to help in establishing the biological filter. The fish have been in for about 1 month however and all my water params test out great.

pH - 8.2
NH - 0.00
NO2 - 0.0
NO3 - 0
Ca - 450

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Very nice tank! I like your aquascaping!

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Well done :)

FWIW, a common misconception is that adding *water* from an existing tank is somehow beneficial. I respectfully disagree. The biological filter - the "good bacteria" inhabit surfaces - rock and substrate (and even filter media)... the water column is where the pollution can end up.

Having said that if you moved *good* water from an existing tank, there's no harm, but often (and here's where I 'hijack' a bit to make a point...) I've seen people moving tanks where the tank had been neglected and water quality went downhill, and they take that same water and import problems into a new tank. Given your parameters I'd say you moved good water :) But the real benefit was in taking rock from an existing tank that was thriving.

Well done :)

Jenn

·
Registered
914 Posts
Embarrassment??? What are you talking about......I think that tank looks awesome. I've been thinking of making something like that to house my PJ Cardinal that has been living in my sump for the last week.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all - and Jenn, I watched the slideshow of that MONSTER tank being built... AWESOME!

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW - I didn't think you all would find it as great looking as I do. Thanks so much! It's always nice to hear other reefers compliments!

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
agreed. You've nothing to be embrassed about.

Nice nano tank you've got. Looks really pretty!

Love to see some closer shots of those corals though.

THAT you should be embarassed about. How dare you not post more pics! hahahahha ;)

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Looks great! I would also add that rock rubble in the sump can become a trap for detritus. Don't forget to keep it clean down there!

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
looks great Shane! my frags are growing like weeds, come and see them!!!

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jenni - That's an awesome picture of your anemone! How's the brain and xenia doing? I'll need to swing by and take a look. I still need to give your boy a guitar tuner also.

Oh, here in a few weeks you're gonna need to come over and see this new corner tank and stand I've built.

Shane

1 - 20 of 44 Posts