The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know something is stressing my kids out again because i am seeing some while tips. I do have a problem with one of my sps frags in particular. while all the rest are growing this one hasn't grown an inch. now it has this strange type of bleaching going on again. it isn't a white bleach though it is a greenish hue and the coral is completly dead in that area. I'll post my parms when i get a sec. any ideas?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
That doesn't look like bleaching to me, it looks like STN. When a coral bleaches there is still polyps and tissue, that does not look like the case here. You might want to think about fragging well into the healthy tissue to avoid further recession. I will be interested to hear about your tank setup, and perams.

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Registered
682 Posts
“STN” is an acronym for “slow tissue necrosis”. Basically, the coral dies “slowly”. Another acronym, “RTN”, is for “rapid tissue necrosis”. In this case, the coral dies “rapidly”. What is considered “rapid” and what is considered “slow” is debatable. In either case, a part of, or the entire coral colony is dying or dead.

The cause could be anything: inadequate light, inadequate flow, too warm temperature, too cold temperature, or too rapid changes in temperature, parasites, too rapid change in alkalinity, or some toxin in the water.

Some environmental condition exists that the coral simply isn’t able to adapt to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts