The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 609 Posts

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like I said. They are easy. A little over a week ago I decided to get some blackworms. I wanted a good live food to feed my fish. Blackworms turn out to be a fantastic live food.. I wish I could go into detail about how good blackworms can be for your fish but I'll just direct you to an article Paul b wrote about worms.

>Worms as Food<

Needless to say my fish absolutely love them... I mean love them..

So I did a great deal of research and designed a way to keep them alive. The problem isn't so much keeping them alive as it is making them easy to feed to your fish without having to deal with a lot of stuff. Most cultures use brown paper in a tupperware container or dishes in the fridge.. Etc etc.. They all seemed like a hassle to me.. I don't like having a million things to monitor, and I like making things easy on myself. So with a little bit of thinking I came up with a way to keep them at room temperature with minimal maintenance.

The main things are.

-Worms should be in a few inches of water.
-They need to be in the dark.
-The need good aeration.
-And they like to escape into every nook and cranny of a container.

Here are the containers I keep them in. Just two stackable tubs. The bottom being larger than the top. These were what I had, it doesn't need to be this size. The lid has a screen on it to let air in. I found there was too much light coming through the screen so I put back some of what I cut out. You can see it in the picture. The worms like to be in the dark.

The top container houses the worms and a simple sprinkler spray head.

The top container drains into the bottom one though a screened opening. The screen needs to be small enough to not allow the worms through yet not get clogged. My screen is a 450 micron mesh. There is a hole well above this screen in case the screen gets clogged. The setup is the same at the other end of the container.

Here is the spray head in action. It keeps the worms aerated as well as keeps them off the walls and pushed into the center of the container. So far it works very very well..

And it's just powered by a standard Maxijet powerhead I had laying around. I think this one is a 600gph. There is nowhere near 600gph coming out of that spray head since it's meant for 65psi water pressure that is supposed to make a 8 foot diameter spray.. With the powerhead it's lucky to get 2 feet.. But thats perfect..

And her are the worms.. All happy an healthy. Not a sinlge one has died. Every night I feed them a pinch plain instant potatoes and a pinch of kelp flakes. It all gone in 24 hours.

Attachments

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kinda skeevy but I like the idea!
I've gotten used to the fact that my fish like gross stuff.. :barf:

But if it makes the fish healthier and live longer, as well as giving me something to do besides watch TV.. I'm all for it..

Its also incredibly fun to watch the worms go berserk when you open the lid.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
That doest look easy at all. At least for me, but I have problems unwrapping a bar of soap. There are no directions on the package!
Do they multiply in there or is it just a holding tank?

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha, build me one... but I don't know if my wife would let me keep worms around like that lol...

where are you buying your worms?
I had to get mine online from aquaticfoods.com, It was a bit expensive $32 for a half pound shipped. But I wanted to try them and it was my only option..

I get away with it here at the house, I have a saltwater tank and she has a lizard tank. So she raises beetles to feed them and I raise a bunch of stuff to feed the fish. The only rule for any live foods is, when someone comes in the house, they can't see them, smell them, or know that they even exist.. So far nobody that comes to the house knows we have any little food critters. (Well maybe the Pods) And that's the way I like it.. I like feeding the fish live food, but I don't want it to make my house weird. The only thing people see are a few hilarious lizards, a bunch of nutjob fish, and two dogs. Simple.

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That doest look easy at all. At least for me, but I have problems unwrapping a bar of soap. There are no directions on the package!
Do they multiply in there or is it just a holding tank?
The hope is that they will multiple. I will feed out of the population until I find that out.. Might take a month to know if they are reproducing.

Its pretty easy. Just dump the water out of the top container into the bottom one. Swap the water. Put the top container back on and plug it in.. 5 minutes tops.

I thought soap had instructions.. Don't they all say "Not to be weaponized and used to enslave the human race."?

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, blackworms are no bigger than a small toothpick. And they are fragile. Of you want fishing worms like Earthworms or Red wrigglers you'll need dirt. You can find information readily online about those guys.

Just google say

Earthworm breeding filetype:pdf

This will bring up all PDF files online about earthworm breeding. Searching for PDF files usually gets better results when you need study material. Most average Joes info will simply be online. But when a lot of research goes into something they usually publish a PDF of what they did or found. You always find better quality stuff that way. That or you could have a bunch of books like I have. But books cost moneys.

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the water salt or fresh ?
Straight well water. I had to wash them several times last week to get their slime from shipping off. (It smelled) But now is completely clean water, has no smell and they are all happy little campers.

The good thing is these worms can be fed to fresh and saltwater fish, but when put in freshwater they can get into the gravel and live indefinately. Giving the fish something to scavenge for.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
The good thing is these worms can be fed to fresh and saltwater fish, but when put in freshwater they can get into the gravel and live indefinately. Giving the fish something to scavenge for.
actually that might not be a terrible idea for a planted tank... help decompose fish waste to feed the plants!

I'm thinking I might have to make some worm breeders... the black worms will be tougher to hide, but I can probably keep them in the basement and my wife would never find out (basement is too creepy-crawly full of spiders for her to go down there!), might make some compost totes to leave in the garage (or maybe the basement again) and toss some crawlers in there and see what they do... I like the idea of never having to buy worms to go fishing again (or having to go dig through the yard for them). I mean c'mon... 3 bucks for 12 crawlers? I could start selling them myself... hmm =)

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
actually that might not be a terrible idea for a planted tank... help decompose fish waste to feed the plants!

I'm thinking I might have to make some worm breeders... the black worms will be tougher to hide, but I can probably keep them in the basement and my wife would never find out (basement is too creepy-crawly full of spiders for her to go down there!), might make some compost totes to leave in the garage (or maybe the basement again) and toss some crawlers in there and see what they do... I like the idea of never having to buy worms to go fishing again (or having to go dig through the yard for them). I mean c'mon... 3 bucks for 12 crawlers? I could start selling them myself... hmm =)
I'm gonna find out if they are repopulating in my setup here soon. I hope they just multiply like crazy in there.. Cheap high quality fish food is always awesome.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
I just bought a bag of these the other day at my lfs on a whim. I remembered hearing paul b. talk about how great they are. my fish went absolutely BANANAS for the things!

I wish I had a place to cultivate them, but ill have to stick to buying them a bag or 2 at a time. that's ok, though, as each bag im guessing will last at least a couple/few weeks.

1 - 20 of 609 Posts