The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
we had one that few in for an airshow when i was stationed at miramar nas. i got to watch it take off and do 7 flybys with afterburns, then it just went vertical and blasted out of sight with a large roar, breaking the sound barrier in just a few seconds afterwards! simply an amazing piece of human engineering!
there is one on static display at offutt air museum in omaha, ne. also!
:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ShirleyM said:
Where is this? It looks like something at the Wright Air Force Museum...
It's in Mobile AL at he USS Alabama museum. http://www.ussalabama.com/ We also toured the ship (man it's tight).

There are some things about the plane that I was unaware of.

Because of it's weight the tires would only last about three landings.

It could not take off with a full load of fuel. It had to take off then immediately be fueled up in flight.

The airplane is faster than a bullet.

Amazing aircraft.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
cool pic rick!!!!

who's that old guy blocking your photo? :D

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Awesome shot Rick, I got to tour Dryden NASA by Edwards AFB back in 92. Some where I have a pic of one sitting on the tarmac with a B2 turning final seen from over the coclpit of the SR71. Unfortunatly its on film, put away and the B2 is but a speck in the pic.
Another interesting trivia bit, its the only plane that never suffered a airframe or aircrew loss in all the time it was in active service.
Due to heat expansion flying at mach 3+ the plane leaks fuel sitting on the tarmac ready to go, once at altitude and speed it stretches over 10 ".
The normal 2 man flight crew wear space suits due to its 120K ' operating ceiling.
They burn a special JP7 fuel, and require a dedicated tanker. They said at NASA that without tanker support they were limited to 45 min flight times
They burn up most of there short fuel load just getting up to 35K ft then tanker up. at low altitudes they fly badly and suck down gobs of fuel. At the higher altitudes the specially designed engines work esp well.
Indeed a fascinating piece of engineering, that has set speed and altitude records that to this day stand, till something gets declassified ;)
BTW, it was originally designated RS71 for recon-surveilence but LBJ spoke at its unveiling and mixed it up to SR71 so they changed it :D

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Rick there is one of those right down the road from my house close to Eglin AFB I have touched it and checked it out good real cool plane and long.:)

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Casey said:
Rick there is one of those right down the road from my house close to Eglin AFB I have touched it and checked it out good real cool plane and long.:)
Titanium, right?

BTW the pic I posted is an A-12 Blackbird and not an SR-71. I'm not sure what the differences are, in fact I wasn't even aware that there was another blackbird.

Doug there was an inflight pic of the SR-71 that showed fuel leaking while in flight. Apparently it leaks all of the time.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
oh I dont know the difference either the one we have here is a sr 71 yea I think its Titanium and boy those engines are long,I see lots of wild planes living right next to Eglin you name it I have seen it. :)

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Casey said:
I see lots of wild planes living right next to Eglin you name it I have seen it. :)
And some that don't even exist.;) For years the govt denied the existance of the Blackbird.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Yea I like seeing the Stealth and the Cobra copters go by and rise up outta the woods loaded with Hellfires:)

·
Super Moderator
27,677 Posts
Wow, Rick! That really is interesting.

a cousin of mine was a chopper pilot in Nam. The fact that he came back is amazing. I may ask him about this.

Thanks to all of you for sharing!

btw...Rick...Your grandfather sure is a good looker and youthful, I must say. ;)

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
The A-12's were the original prototypes and follow on versions, The SR71 was the type accepted version the USAF finally got and put into service. There is also a 3 seat trainer version that they built a few of. Needless to say the pilots of these planes were a special breed due to the demands of the aircrafts charactoristics and abilities.
Some of the prototypes were considered for delivering hi efficiancy(read nuke) ordinance but it was never adopted. Prolly due to the probs created opening a hole in an airframe at mach 3+ over 100K ft .
The skunkworks @ Lockheed was tasked with building a replacement for the U2 after Gary Powers was shot down over the Soviet Union in the early 60's. The U2 was hard to get to but as always the technology became available, misslewise, then the Mig25 foxbat was introduced which would have made the high slow U2 a sitting duck. If you get a chance to read the now declassified story of the Skunkworks development and building of the Blackbird, its phenomenal reading :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts