The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used any of the moon sand. I took out a rook out of my seahorse tank and the bottom of the rock had turned black. WHATS UP???? Is this toxic ,chemical reaction or what is happening? I'm going to take this junk out of it. The bad part is it is in the 10gal. tank to. It is full of pods and all kinds of critters now.:doh:
so I thought I would ask if any has had similar trouble with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't smell any thing now. I was concerned it might harm the horses.
I know it don't look that bad BUT don't like it

What did I do to my pic??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rock is back to normal color this morning. I have it in the 10gal. tank next to the seahorse tank(they are connected together). We are still thinking about taking the sand out. If something is going to change the color of rock then it can't be healthy as far as I'm concerned. We will probably go bare bottom in the seahorse tank , I don't know what we will do with the reef tank because it has this stuff in it too. The bad thing s is that I have it all loaded with zoo plankton.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I've seen the black sand and I think it's only dye, and should be a non-toxic one at that. If you get a chance, call your LFS where you bought the sand and ask them, they can read the label on the sand package. I also have seen sand in red, pink, etc. colors. I'm sure it's just food coloring!

HHC

·
The Watcher
2,046 Posts
I use tahitian moon sand and I have had no problems with it staining my rock. The only issue with it is it will not help moderate your PH.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have this sand in my 10g tank with no adverse effects. Granted, I haven't really picked up any rocks to check the underside of them, but I don't see any staining. It could be dust from the package. I did notice after I had put the sand in my take initially that it formed a black film on top of the water, almost slurry-like. The sand is a silica-type sand. It could be that some of the dust settled on the bottom of the tank and attached as a slurry to the rock. Either way, I don't believe it is harmful. At least I've never heard of this type of sand to be. It is a popular SW choice.

Mike.

·
The Watcher
2,046 Posts
I have this sand in my 10g tank with no adverse effects. Granted, I haven't really picked up any rocks to check the underside of them, but I don't see any staining. It could be dust from the package. I did notice after I had put the sand in my take initially that it formed a black film on top of the water, almost slurry-like. The sand is a silica-type sand. It could be that some of the dust settled on the bottom of the tank and attached as a slurry to the rock. Either way, I don't believe it is harmful. At least I've never heard of this type of sand to be. It is a popular SW choice.

Mike.
Yeah you want to make sure you rinse it really really well before adding it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a question for those that do use this sand? I have noticed that when I us my magnetic scraper and get close to the bottom I get sand stuck to it , so I checked it agian this morning and just putting it down to the sand and sure enough it came back with sand all over it So has any one else noticed this? I'm think this stuf has some iron it since it is volcanic..Try it and let me know..

·
The Watcher
2,046 Posts
Hrmmm I have never seen mine do that

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
The rock is back to normal color this morning. I have it in the 10gal. tank next to the seahorse tank(they are connected together). We are still thinking about taking the sand out. If something is going to change the color of rock then it can't be healthy as far as I'm concerned. We will probably go bare bottom in the seahorse tank , I don't know what we will do with the reef tank because it has this stuff in it too. The bad thing s is that I have it all loaded with zoo plankton.
I ran it in a 11 gal nano for a year or so and it had no problems. Just create rock lifts from pvc to keep the rock off the sand. I am 99.9% positive that is related to lack of oxygen, as I had lr rubble turned that color that were covered by fine white aragonite. I say keep the sand.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If it is black sand from volcanic areas, it could very well be magnetic. To boot, it is not oolitic/aragonite, and therefore, if you look at it under a microscope, it is SHARP. Therefore, if you DO get it stuck in your mag float or other magnetic tank cleaner, you very well could scratch your glass... be careful

DP

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To me if it will attch to a mag. then it must have metal. Sorry it will be a bare bottom untill I get some other stuff... Call me scardy but I always heard metal in a tank is not good..........

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the wife wants me to leave it for now because we have a male that is preg again and don't want to put him in any schock.The bad thing is that I don't seem to be able to keep any snails in there because they don't like it. I think it cuts them or some thing. I got all my snails back in the 10 gal and it has the same sand and if they get off the rocks very long they just turn over. I put them on the rocks and after awhile they are ok and eating. Hey go figure...

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
when i was debating whether to use it or not, i read online about some manufacturers using slag from the iron industry as their "black sand" this could very well be what you have... i would have it analyzed

1 - 20 of 24 Posts