The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this urchin in my 65 for almost a year. Well he got big quick and now he is starting to eat my Xenia. Honestly I don't care that he is eating the Xenia since it had taken over the whole left side of my tank and he actually cleaned it up for me but I don't want to sit around and see what is next. Sucks because I like the guy. As far as I can tell this is the only thing he has eaten.

I have been putting good size algae strips in my tank every other night for him which he takes down most of the time but he still is eating the xenia. So how do I go about removing him?? I have read stories of them eating zoas and acans and I really don't want him taking out my acans. I would not be happy about that. I just tried getting him out to bring him to the LFS but it was unsuccessful. Also is there anything else I can feed him that would maybe steer him away from corals. Shrimp maybe?? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you need to remove him you have to grab ahold of one of his spines and gently pull and he'll gradually let go. If you try to net him you'll end up breaking most of his spines off. Plus they're a pain in the rear to get out of the net sometimes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I think I'm going to just get him out this week before he makes lunch out of my Acan or Zoas. So literally just carefully grab a spine and pull him out of the tank??? I'm guessing some sort of glove would be a good idea?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes. I have a black long spine urchin and I'll slowly put one finger in between some spines and he'll start moving them around. Once one hits my finger I'll pinch it with my thumb and gently apply pressure like you're trying to pull it straight out of his body. They're very fragile and also venomous so be careful. If it breaks you have to grab another one. Don't try to yank him out, they are suctioned to whatever they're on but as you pull he'll gradually let go. Mine hasn't tried to eat anything but sponge so far so I'm going to keep him until he's a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts