The Reef Tank banner

Black Or White Live Sand For a Reef Tank??

• Black Live Sand?

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • White Live Sand?

Votes: 73 78.5%
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
yeah, black sand is the arag-alive stuff by caribseas. The sell both black sand and the mixed white sand. Now their sand, I think, is "live" because the bacteria is "added" to the sand rather than true harvested live sand that is available.

lol i read it all too before i noticed it was old. was weird showed up in todays post????

I voted on it the other day cuz I wanted to know what people thought! lol, thats why it came back up! Im getting black sand in my 10 gallon rounded edges acrylic tank. Once I move I will set it up and just wanted some opinions lol! Funny it popped back up!

I have black sand (Caribsea Hawaiian black).... it has white specs in it and looks very nice. Prior to getting black sand, I had read that some metals in the sand will cause the sand to stick to your magnetic glass scraper. I bought it anyway. The posts were true. When i clean the bottom of the glass, I often end up with magnetic grains of sand stuck to my magnet and need to rinse it under water and use my finger to get them off. Regardless, I love the look and it makes everything stand out. I have a picture on the left.

Started with black live sand, will have it until it all gets siphoned out slowly. At least it appears that way, as tons of it black stuff gets tossed out into the yard every wc I do.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.