The Reef Tank banner

Black Or White Live Sand For a Reef Tank??

• Black Live Sand?

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • White Live Sand?

Votes: 73 78.5%

black sand or white sand??

16K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  25237 
#1 ·
so im setting up the 55g and i cant decide black or white live sand... i have my 30 now with black but idk if its time for a change... what does everybody think

#12 ·
No sand? I like no sand with just growing coraline being the substrate. I have also seen Ca reactor media used as substrate... really cool....

Still it depends on the tank... if you have a good amount of colorful fungia, black is awesome.

#14 ·
yeah im really interested in this mixing.. i hope somebody can post a pic up. im going to get my stuff this week so i have a couple days to make the decicion. and yeha the black and white livesand they sell here both have the larger pieces unless i went with livessand in black and just plain sand in white. but anyways if somebody could get a pic i would really appreciate it

#21 ·
yeah, black sand is the arag-alive stuff by caribseas. The sell both black sand and the mixed white sand. Now their sand, I think, is "live" because the bacteria is "added" to the sand rather than true harvested live sand that is available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.