The Reef Tank banner

Black Or White Live Sand For a Reef Tank??

• Black Live Sand?

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • White Live Sand?

Votes: 73 78.5%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
in my 75 I have a mix of both I have more whit than black like 10 more pounds then black and i just mixed the two together

·
Registered
584 Posts
I just don't like the look of black sand.... that's all lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
mine is a mix of both, I inherited the tank, sand and rock, but I think I would do the same again. I like that its not super bright white but I can still see if something is wrong in my sand bed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
yeah, that's how mine is. the bigger black bits look kinda like bits of volcanic rock. and its easy to see pods and scuds against the black. like tcamos said, its all about personal preference.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
No sand? I like no sand with just growing coraline being the substrate. I have also seen Ca reactor media used as substrate... really cool....

Still it depends on the tank... if you have a good amount of colorful fungia, black is awesome.

·
Registered
23 Posts
wow never thought about that ? how does it look do u have a pic?
I do not have any good pics I was just looking and most pics I have look bad. Would take one tonight but lights about to go out. I like the look cause you can still see if the sand is getting dirty but it is not as blinding bright as just plain white sand

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah im really interested in this mixing.. i hope somebody can post a pic up. im going to get my stuff this week so i have a couple days to make the decicion. and yeha the black and white livesand they sell here both have the larger pieces unless i went with livessand in black and just plain sand in white. but anyways if somebody could get a pic i would really appreciate it

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
White,never seen Black,only herd of Black sand in Hawaii and never bin there or know it's illegal to take.

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
I have seen the black sand sold in stores. Do any of you guys have Uncle Bills pet centers where you are?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts