The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Sorry, that was a little on the brief side. Both these products have been fairly well analyzed in the different reef forums and found to be unable to perform as advertised.

· Administrator
61,145 Posts
I gotta agree with Jay on this on, I have heard good things about Black Powder, but it may have been coincidental. On the whole all the products from that manufacturer have been hashed and rehashed on every BB that is remotely reef related. If there are any valid studies that show that its beneficial, I am not aware of them. Like the rest of MW products, the grandiose claims don't seem to be borne out by serious reefers. After 5 yrs on reef boards I know that if it was good, the testimonials would be rolling in, but.................
As far as the Aragomite, micro ground aragonite is still limited in how much can dissolve and be absorded due to insoluability at normal reef pH. Pickling lime is a much cheaper alternative to high priced Kalkwasser , all of which have measurable effects on a tank.
Bottom line, save the $$$$ on the high priced stuff, use good SW and frequent changes and use kalk to maintain levels after testing and determining your specific tanks needs.
Other than that the only thing I would recommend is Selcon, in conjunction with a decent feeding regimine based on tank needs. Don't waste time with all theose supplements they want you to use.
BTW WELCOME WizardGus, good to see you here :D

· Crazed Fish Whisperer
3,063 Posts
If I may since it is closely related to this thread... what about Selcon? Your thoughts on that one?

· Super Moderator
24,430 Posts
Jeremy1973 said:
If I may since it is closely related to this thread... what about Selcon? Your thoughts on that one?
Selcon,,,,:thumbup:

· Registered
53 Posts
Soaking food in Selcon is a pretty time-tested means of adding nutrition to the food before being fed to your fish. I generally see a reaction in the corals as well, especially the softies. I've never seen a bad report on it, though there could be some I've missed.

Doug, thanks for the welcome! Nice place you have here. Well appointed and yet not too ostentatious! I have heard though that there is an admin over here called, Sparky or Spunky or something like that, that a person needs to watch out for. :lol:

· Administrator
61,145 Posts
Hehehehe, Yah you gotta watch for him, he's a reef ruckus raiser, but then what the heck, I have been known to venture into the depths of other boards and argue at times :D
BTW check out the Think Tank forum :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.