The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any idea what these are? This is a small rock I have a few green mushrooms on. There are these strange looking black bubble kinda things right next to a couple small featherdusters. I know they are soft as they move a bit in the current. They are almost transparent as you can see in the pic. I know it's not the best but it's the best and clearest shot I could get with my camera. I thought perhaps bubble algae but they don't look like any bubble algae pics I can find. Thanks.

·
Physical/Reef therapist
388 Posts
Could it be a black colored sponge?

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Black sponge perhaps. One of my hermit crabs was picking at algae around it and I noticed when they were touched they retract to about half the size. As soon as the hermit moved on they were back to normal size within a minute. Is that sponge behavior? No idea. Just wondering.

·
Registered
162 Posts
black sponge if it dies it could crash your tank i dont like sponges for that reason ive seen it happen make sure it dosent touch air or it could die if it dose die scrub it off if you dont and you put it back in your tank you most likely get an ammonia spike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts