The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been battleing this stuff for a couple of months now, and just cannot get it under controll. Have tried large and small water changes. Have tried lights out for a week (twice). No sign of it untill about a week later, then back with a vengance. I thought maybe there was something wrong with the DI water I was getting from work, so I purchased a new RO/DI of my own, not the problem. My pc's were about a year old, so I replaced them, but still no progress. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful. Thanks!

65 gallon tank
24 gallon sump/fuge
PM HOT-1 skimmer
Circulation via mag 9.5
100 lbs live rock
4" sandbed in sump, 2" in tank
SG 1.024, pH 8.3, ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, temp 80 - 82

·
Bring it.
932 Posts
I know of a fellow reefer who has a black sponge/algae like encroaching growth. It kills everything it comes in contact with and there seems to be no end. Please give more details about your infestation. A better decription would be helpful. I know the stuff he is battling is very course and spongey. He uses kalwasser spot dosed to keep it in check. You might have that or just cyano. I had a similar problem with black nasty stuff and immedieately removed the rock from the system. If it is the sponge like stuff and not cyano I recommend immediately removing the rock and letting it dry out and scrub it off.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
can't say I have a clue why or whats wrong, but I did see a guys tank that was covered in black...never seen it before, but it looked nasty.

hope someone has some idea's for you :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stuff I have isn't course and spongy (although I may have a small patch of that too, I'll have to investigate), but more like cyano. Different than the red stuff I have had in the past. I can't really describe why it's different, except it doesn't get all stringy when it starts to crash. I was just getting ready to go out for dinner, I'll see if I can't post a pic later. Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, don't know if these pictures will be much help. Crappy camera = crappy pictures.

This stuff is really strange. A lot of it appears to be encrusting, as Energy mentioned, but small patches of it are almost "fuzzy", kind of like mold. I'm sure it isn't mold though. Anyway, your comments and ideas are most welcome.

Energy,
So far this stuff doesn't seem to bother anything. Interesting idea about the Kalkwasser, I'll have to give it a try. I hope the fellow reefer you mentioned isn't the same person I met while buying some live rock earlier this summer. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have it pretty much under control now, in the tank anyway. Still have some in the sump, but it's getting better. Doubling water changes. and scrubing off every little bit I could see on the rocks on a daily basis seems to have done the trick. Haven't seen any in the tank for about a week now. :D

·
1,035 Posts
BLACK CRAP

I have seen the same tank Stan is talking about. Witnessing this stuff grow, develop and take over the area around it is amazing. This tank has had it for 3-4 years and probably came in on a coral or mushroom rock. My suggestion is the same thing this person was told, If it is the same, (I think it is a sponge) get rid of the rock. Try and clean it off but if that does not work, don't take a chance. IMO, This stuff is nasty, it will only get worse and constant cleaning/scraping will only make it spread even more. It does have to determined if it is the same so we are all on the same page.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dirk,

I do not believe this to be the same stuff you are referring to. I think the reason I was having a hard time identifying it is because there were/are multiple types of algae. Although at first look (actually several looks) the algale appeared to be all black, some of it was in fact a dark green, but you could only tell by looking at it from several angles.

The stuff Energy mentioned, and you have seen, apparently kills anything it comes in contact with, but I have not had it harm anything, with the exception of an orange branching gorgonian. The places where algae clung to a branch lost tissue in that area within a couple of days. Everything beyond that area, that is , going out the branch, has slowly been wasting away. I have removed the branches that have been affected, but I'm not convinced it is out of the woods yet. Overall, it seems to be gettting thinner, though I am not sure if this is due to the algae, or due to the fact that they are difficult to keep alive in the first place.

I will continue to watch the tank very closely. As I mentioned, I haven't seen a trace of it in the tank for about a week now. If it begins to reappear, I will heed your advice!

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
black algae?

I have some black stuff but it is on my glass and sand? Had it first develop in my 30gallon reef tank. I changed it back to my 65 gallon about a month ago and I'm getting it again!!! All my premeters are good. I have 3 power heads for flow and a protein skimmer.
Any ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts