The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Shark bait
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got a 4 gallon Finnex nano tank for Father's Day. It came with a HOB filter ~30GPH, and 18W 50/50 PC bulb. It's at my office at work so I have something to look at during the day.

I filled up with salt water this morning and got everything wired. There's also a 25 watt heater in the tank.

I just got 5lbs of LR from MWC and will be putting them in the tank tomorrow - they're in the 20g's sump now. I intend on putting some zoas in there along with yumas and/or ricordias. Also maybe a frag from a sun coral I got, possibly some blastos, GSPs, the mini BTA that's in the 75g is possible, maybe hammer or frogspawn.
It really depends on how the aquascaping goes and what will fit there.

I'd want a little motion and definitely some color from the corals. So if you have any suggestions.

As far as fish/inverts - I don't know. I'm thinking a few snails and a shrimp or fancy crab as long as its out and not hiding. I may not do any fish at all but still undecided.

I intend on doing 1 gallon water changes (25%) every week as primary method of nutrient export. No skimmer. Though I will have some carbon in the HOB, with bits of LR for a mini-mini-refugium.

I will post photos within the next few days as time permits.

·
Student of the Reef
1,003 Posts
I like it. It looks like the perfect size for some softies and maybe a cleaner shrimp of something. So what are you going to stock it with?

·
Hail Purdue! Boiler up!
190 Posts
I wonder what your boss will say as suddenly your performance drops off because you're too concerned with the tank to work! :) Just be sure to get your stuff done lol. I'd be so concerned with how the tank's doing I'd just say screw it to my work!

·
Hail Purdue! Boiler up!
190 Posts
Judging by the size of the tank I'd say stock some zoo's, maybe a few mushrooms, and then a cleaner shrimp and a either a green or yellow clown goby.

·
Shark bait
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...I intend on putting some zoas in there along with yumas and/or ricordias. Also maybe a frag from a sun coral I got, possibly some blastos, GSPs, the mini BTA that's in the 75g is possible, maybe hammer or frogspawn.
It really depends on how the aquascaping goes and what will fit there.

I'd want a little motion and definitely some color from the corals. So if you have any suggestions.

As far as fish/inverts - I don't know. I'm thinking a few snails and a shrimp or fancy crab as long as its out and not hiding. I may not do any fish at all but still undecided.

See above forwhat I planned on putting in there... A goby would like by what I'd put in there - but don't want him doing summersaults out of the tank (note the open top).

·
Shark bait
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Parameters have tested out pretty good - with nitrates at between 2ppm and 5ppm.

I wanted to document the tank's current progress.

On Monday, I added a red mushroom and what was left of the orange ricordia I had in the 75g (in the hopes that the PC lights are more to it's liking than the T5s). I also added a frag of a purple rimmed montipora capricornis.

Today I added two separate little rocks of the green & purple tonga mushrooms like in this photo:

One of the rocks had 4 mushrooms on it and the other one and a half;). The rest are at home in the 75g. I may frag a few off again so I can put in the 20g. We'll see..

I also added today a frag from a pulsing Xenia and a four polyp frag of the green zoanthids I have in the 75g.

I also have been topping off with RO at a rate of about 4 ounces a day so far. I have a 5 gallon bucket ready - half filled with pre-mixed saltwater - from home for water changes. I also have a 1 gallon jug here to keep RO available.

Temperature hasn't been an issue because of the central air conditioning here and keeping the heater set to 79 degrees.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Looks and sounds great.......I would do a pistol shrimp/gobie pair......mine are very entertaining....

·
Shark bait
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I moved the green ricordia and a 5-polyp frag of 'eagle eye' zoas into the nano today. I also fragged some pink zoa but they're still recuperating in the 75g tank.

There are plenty of pods, amphipods, etc. crawling around. A brittle star or two and bristle worms have also been spotted. I haven't had much algae growth on the glass (knocking on wood). Just some minor diatoms on the rock but the snails are taking care of it. Things are coming along.

I plan to take photos by the end of the week or so.

·
Shark bait
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm at it again - added some more frags...

I added the two-polyp piece of pink zoa/paly that I had recuperating at home (from my fragging them the other day) and I added two-headed frag of frogspawn.

While I had my hand in the tank, I picked up a frag of GSP (Green Star Polyps) and this tiny frag of Blue-Ridge Heliopora that I found growing in my 75g from when I accidentally chipped some of the main piece a few months back.

I did bring my camera in to the office with me today so I will post photos. I'm hoping that the latest additions are open by the time I'm ready to snap them.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Very cool! I would also have a difficult time trying to work if I could stare at a tank. Keep the progress coming. Thanks

·
Hail Purdue! Boiler up!
190 Posts
You added frogspawn to a tank that size? I'd be slightly concerned about the sweeper tentacles from it. From what I've read the Euphyllia genus seems to have some pretty potent sweepers. Watch the health of your zoas and especially that piece of monti for any dying spots.

·
Shark bait
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Full tank shot taken today:

Green Ricordia and tonga mushrooms.. sorry about the over exposure in this shot of the ric..

Pulsing Xenia:

Pink Paly.. Still getting adjusted to tank & handling at time of photo...

The orange ricordia that I hope recovers in this nano.. It was worse than what you are seeing before I put it in...

The monti frag... I don't have high expectations.. just want to see if it grows in this light...

Some Green Star Polyps (GSP)

Green Zoas and the light brown pebble in the crevice on the left is the blue-ridge heliopora...

Frogspawn:

Eagle Eyes:

That's all the photos I've taken...

Please let me know what you guys think...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts