The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be setting up a 5G nano in a few weeks, and the tank came with one of those tiny biowheel hang on power filters... I was wondering if I should leave the biowheel in, or rip it out and just run carbon? I know on larger tanks bioballs and such become a liability because they generate tons of nitrates, but does this apply on nanos?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was told by a LFS to remove the carbon and leave the wheel in there... I currently have it cycling in my water change tank with only a powerhead in the 10g display, but I'd be interested in some opinions from the forum as well!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would remove the wheel and keep the carbon, that's how I run my 5g nano.

As long as you have live rock you shouldnt need the extra biological filter

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
You aren't likely to see any problem arising from the presence of the bio wheel in the short term anyway, some folks experience a gradual increase in nitrate as the tank matures, that can be attributed to the presence of the bio wheel. Some people never have a problem and leave it there.

It boils down to the balance of aerobic, anaerobic and anoxic baterial activity in the tank. If there is too much aerobic and anaerobic and not enough anoxic, nitrate builds. If there is enough anoxic to keep up with the extra aerobic that the biowheel provides, then there is no problem.

IMO either play it by ear, or remove the bio wheel, keep the carbon, and don't forget to do water changes!

HTH

Jenn

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I kept mine on in my Fish Only Tank and on my nano. However (I know this applies to Freshwater), if you are attempting a freshwater planted tank, remove it. I was adding CO2 only to find out that the biowheel removed it at an exponentail rate. The biowheel on my Fish Only with Live rock tank is there so i can have an indicator to change my filter. (I see it turn, it is okay, not turning, time to change the filter.

LOL

Ray

·
Registered
198 Posts
The only problems I've had with bio wheel filtration is a huge amount of evaporation. I've had this problem with both fresh and saltwater tanks.

Cheers...Michael :beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts