The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems to be the long standing opinion that Kreisels are the only options for delicate marine life, such as jellies. Some go as far as to call companies like Jellyfish Art, con artists and scammers because they do not use a traditional Kreisel tank design, but rather a modified biUbe. But are the Kreisel and Biorb so dissimilar when we actually look at their basic water flow?

The Kreisel tank provide slow, circular water flow with a bare minimum of interior hardware to house delicate animals. A screen often covers the outtake of water so that the delicate animal will not get pulled through even if it were to somehow break the flow. A basic diagram is shown below.

A biorb is designed to mimic the look of a fish bowl, or a filterless aquarium and usually uses an under-gravel filter with a tube bubbler. While this is not designed to provide circular water flow, take a look at the diagram below and think about the path the water must take in a biorb.

As the bubbler mushrooms at the surface, the flow proceeds to the edges of the tanks before it is pulled down and in by the "filter."

What is it then that makes them so different? Why is there such a die hard opposition to biorbs for delicate animals? I believe they may take some modification to the outlet of the bubbler (possibly making it more directional so the flow can be controlled more properly), but it seems like a plausible alternative. Is it the lack of a complex filter (these are often unnecessary with delicate animals like jellies who leave VERY little waste)? Is it the rocks that must cover the filter at the bottom (these can then be covered with smooth marbled glass)? Is it the tube in the center of the tank (which is smooth itself)?

I honestly do not know myself if biorbs would work, but they seem like an option that has not been explored. Any comments or discussion are greatly appreciated. I have linked a number of products below for comparison to add to the discussion.

Jelliquarium Explorer(Kreisel)
In-Wall Jelliquarium (Kreisel)
Reef One BiOrb Classics
Reef One BiUbes
Reef One BiOrb Life Collection
Jellyfish Art Tanks (Modified BiUbes)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Links to both types of tanks would be handy
I have added links in the original post for both the designs (links to pages with short descriptions of the designs) as well as links to a number of tanks for sale which represent both designs.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
are you looking to keep jellies?

the BiOrb should work the way you say, but i am not sure that there is enough flow for it to do what it needs to do. i would however think that if you used a very small pump instead of a bubbler it would do the job.

i have toyed with creating a Jelly tank over the years. i was going to build it from scratch out of acrylic.

G~

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I personally am looking to keep jellies, but the topic was more for general discussion of the concepts. After talking about some tank ideas, and mentioning Jellyfish Art I realized that there was a very negative response (not just on TRT) to anything that was not strictly defined as a Kreisel design and I wanted to know exactly why.

·
Administrator
46,695 Posts
I personally am looking to keep jellies, but the topic was more for general discussion of the concepts. After talking about some tank ideas, and mentioning Jellyfish Art I realized that there was a very negative response (not just on TRT) to anything that was not strictly defined as a Kreisel design and I wanted to know exactly why.
Probably because some internet guru decreed that Kreisels are the only way to go, and a lot of people buy into it just like every trend that comes along.
Thinking outside the box is a good thing, there is almost always more than one option.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
a Kriesel is nothing crazy difficult to recreate with some basic acrylic skills. i would change a few things from your initial drawing of one though. if you wanted to go the BiOrb route then why not just move the air driven pump all the way to the far side of the system. it will still create the current you want. i think the biggest problem is getting enough flow using bubbles. i know bubble lifts are used all of the time to move water, but that is used in confined spaces/pipes. bubble lifts do not work well in an open water column.

G~

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
+1 to what I have read, I too think that with a small pump would do the trick, but you would need low velocity coming from it, otherwise the jellies could get a hole in them, or pull a few G's going up haha

My wife wants to keep jellies (like I need another tank) but she was talking about a Biorb as well, so I think you may have something.....

what about something like this? just cover the pump with some egg crate, and plexi-glass....

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts