The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a biorb live 30l. Using the marine filter and heater , and have
About 3kg live rock cycling for 4 weeks now, I'm gonna do some changes.
1- cancel the biorb marine filter.
2- add a internal filter or external .
3- add sand
4- add a power head.
Do I need Any thing else ?

A external filter gonna give me more Room for livestock ?
Or small internal filter gonna do same job ?
What to put inside of the filter etc.
What filter to buy ? Internal or external ? Make etc . Need a silent and small .
Need some advice on filter please,

Then advice in livestock ?
Fish + coral and cleaner crew
Thank you in advance

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
In saltwater you don't really need any kind of mechanical filtration. The bacteria in the live rock does the filtering. Just be sure to aim the powerhead at the surface for gas exchange.

As for livestock, 30l equals about 8 gallons which is very limiting as far as fish are concerned. It'd be a good coral and invert tank though. www.liveaquaria.com is a great place to research livestock. You could do something like a firefish or a pistol shrimp/watchman goby pair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In saltwater you don't really need any kind of mechanical filtration. The bacteria in the live rock does the filtering. Just be sure to aim the powerhead at the surface for gas exchange.

As for livestock, 30l equals about 8 gallons which is very limiting as far as fish are concerned. It'd be a good coral and invert tank though. is a great place to research livestock. You could do something like a firefish or a pistol shrimp/watchman goby pair.
thank you for reply
do you think if a get this filter ( EHEIM MINI UP MICRO INTERNAL FILTER 25-30L NANO FISH TANK AQUARIUM ) with Seachem Purigen ,ACTIVATED CARBON and Floss Wool gonna help ? thanks

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
The problem with mechanical filters in saltwater is they catch and hold a lot of detritus, which raises your nitrates (they're actually called nitrate factories around here). I use one only after a water change to help clear the water and if I want to run carbon. If you run it constantly you'd have to change the internal media every few days and take it down and completely clean it weekly. It's just an unnecessary hassle and expense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem with mechanical filters in saltwater is they catch and hold a lot of detritus, which raises your nitrates (they're actually called nitrate factories around here). I use one only after a water change to help clear the water and if I want to run carbon. If you run it constantly you'd have to change the internal media every few days and take it down and completely clean it weekly. It's just an unnecessary hassle and expense.
Im gonna do weekly water change 20% and filter cleaning 4 in 4 weeks . This help ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts