The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello after looking around a lot of forums seems that this is the best form to post on for good answers. I have had a Biocube for about 5 months; I’m really frustrated with it for the following reason after 5 months I’m just starting to get coralline algae. I do a 10% water change every week with box water from Blue Ocean; my tests come back perfect with the PH sometimes being a little bit on the low side but nothing to panic about. All my fish survive fine and are doing great. I know most of my problem is the lighting on the tank and after 5 months I decided to bite the bullet and get the mod kit with nanotuners. But before I bought that I decided with having 5 fish in the tank I would get a skimmer. After looking all over forms I decided to get the CPR SR3 skimmer. I have it installed, and I have it tuned to what I think is the perfect setting just little bit of bubbles and foam spitting out the top with hardly any water collecting in the cup. Water lvl is perfect to the 45 degree angel they suggest. But I have had it going for a week and still all I get is a tank full of so many bubbles you can barely make out the fish. I did replace the blue crap with some crushed up live rock. The sponge in chamber 3 is all the way down. I have tried every tip in the world and still getting bubbles. I only use box water for my changes and keep everything perfect the best I can. But after all this time I’m still at a lost and so confused on what to do HELP<o></o>

·
My own ocean
1,662 Posts
I assume the bubbles are coming from the return from the skimmer? If this is true, then I think I can help you. But I'll wait for a response on that. And I suggest not using box water. They harvest this water from the ocean directly obviously, but store it at room temperature. And as a result many of the organisms die and when you put it into your aquarium it actually adds pollution. And I read on USA today that the worlds oceans may be becoming more acidic, Im not sure how true it is, but that may be a cause to your lowered pH....

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
The box water your using MAY have a conditioner in it. In which case is your cause. I learned the hard way that water conditioner makes your skimmer go insane! Ive never heard of that box water......I have heard of petco boxed water (which I hear is really good) but I would say try another source if possible. Protein skimmers are going to operate the same for everyone no matter what......the only different variable would be water source/makeup. It may not be broken in all the way yet either. Microbubbles are very frustrating but with diligence and hard work, you can minimize/eliminate them. What are you using to test your water for salinity? Swing arm? Refractometer?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m really not too sure on what part is the return. If you can advise for me that would be great and maybe we can get this corrected. As the box water goes I have tried both Petco and Blue Ocean, they test out the same only difference is the PH in the Petco water sits about 8.0, and Blue Ocean is about a 8.2 I only prefer Blue Ocean because it’s more local company from the west coast. The test I get performed is from my local salt water store, and they use a Refractometer

·
My own ocean
1,662 Posts
By the return I mean the pipe or tubing that leads the water that was filtered through the back compartments back into the tank. If your skimmer is making a lot of bubbles and then those may be collecting in the return and in time leaching into your tank.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't have a return tube. It's spills over a edge and back in the sump.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
I have a 29 bio also... Do you think the problem could be your live rock rubble? It might be catching and releasing bubbles, as well as adding detritus that you cannot clean out without removing all the rock and getting out the shopvac. There will be lots of other opinions, but I think the back chambers are nothing but a brilliant way to hide equipment... That's what makes the tanks so beautiful.

·
Registered
262 Posts
A man goes to his doctor and says "Hey doc, it hurts when I move my arm like this."

The doctor replies: "Stop moving your arm like that."
If the bubbles started after adding the skimmer, turn off the skimmer and let the bubbles clear. I'm not familiar with that particular skimmer, but I imagine there's some sort of mechanism used to control the flow speed into the skimmer. Turn that alllllllllll (meaning: all) the way down and plug it in again. Next, slowly increase the flow to the point that you have optimum bubble rise without spilling bubbles back out in to the tank.

Skimmers take time and finesse to dial them in.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good new bubbles have stopped!!!! But after the frustration with this tank I started this weekend a new 75g reef project. I will be starting a new thread with pics of the building of everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts