The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys hows it goin. I have a biocube 14 currently up and running probably a good 7 weeks. I have taken out the bioballs and replaced them with liverock, and filled water all the way up. currenly in take i have an emerald crab, two blue eyed hermits, a camal shrimp, turbo snail, chromis, false percula, and a bi colored blenny.

I was wondering if the filters are nessasary. i do water changes about 4 gallons every week and that seems to be working out. the water never gets really cloudy and the filters arent cheap. i was looking into the skimmer but every person i talk to says they suck and i dont need it because its a small tank and i do good water changes often.

I have read about newer tanks going threw stanged of red sand. I was wondering how long this will last. Its not too bad and not growing big just sand has a red tint to it. also does anyone have the rotating flow deflector from hydor- does it work well and worth the 15 bucks?

can anyone recommend a flake or dry food. i currently have a variety pack of frozen that i do a little of the meaty ones and a little of the veggy cube only one meat and veg and only like an 8th if that of the cubes as i dont wanna over feed. but i was just wondering if a flake food may work a little better and then treat them with frozen sometimes.

Thanks
Matt

·
My own ocean
1,662 Posts
I recommend a filter pad that you can stick in the back and rinse once a day. You need some sort of mechanical filtration. And I recommend frozen food, your fish will be much healthier with fresher foods.

I believe the red sand you are refering to is Cyano algae. Blooms usually last for a week or 2. Its a very normal phase that is very hard to dodge.

Rotating hydors are very nice, never had one, but only seen them in action on other tanks. Its a great way to get cross flow. In a small tank like that, it would be a great choice so you can have alternating flow(that's what you want:)).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do i have to use my RO water to rinse it or will tap work just curious mi have always used ro everytime i have rinsed anything on my saltwater filtration but i was wondering if its needed

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
You do not need any mechanical filter pads in your tank. If you do not feel like cleaning or rinsing a filter pad that often, then simply do not use one.

Live rock belongs in the tank, not the rear sump chamber. Live rock rubble placed in the bioball chamber will act just like bioballs and produce nitrate. It is not the material but the enviorment of the trickle tower that is the problem.

The rear section of the Biocube should contain nothing other than your pumps or equipment. Keep it empty and siphon it clean when you do water changes.

Flake foods can be high in phosphates and tend to float around to much. What doesn't get eaten add to your nutrient load. Pellets can be a better choice. Ocean nutrition makes a nano reef pellet food that is good.
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18498&rel=1

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i should take the filter out and take the live rock put it in tank leave all the chambers empty except for pump and heater? never would have thought... hm ok maybe ill give it a shot ill prob have some kind of small filter to catch the big stuff. any other diy mods anyone can think of?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts