The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I know most of you here probably hate bioballs, and I understand why. But I have a spot in my nano, that is hidden, and i would like to put bioballs to help filtration, as I cant afford LR rubble right now. If I got the bioballs, and distributed them into 2 or 3 mesh bags, and placed them in. I could clean them.
Would it not be a big nitrate factory if every week I took out one of the mesh bags, cleaned the bag, and rinsed the bioballs with ro/di water, as to clean detrius out of them, but still let the bacteria live? Would this help any and would this still create a nitrate factory.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
i have the biowheel in my wet/dry and i think that is a myth to a point........if you follow the rules and do your maintaince you should not have a problem.............if you slack and leave that in for a month then yea it would turn into a nitrate factory...........if there is no debri on the bio balls because you are cleaning them weekly how can they turn into a nitrate factory

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thats what I was figuring. I just didn't know if I was missing something. Thanks for the reply. My LFS sells them in a bag of 1 gallon of bioballs, so ill probably pick one up sometime.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
pballafreak said:
Ok, so I know most of you here probably hate bioballs, and I understand why. But I have a spot in my nano, that is hidden, and i would like to put bioballs to help filtration, as I cant afford LR rubble right now. If I got the bioballs, and distributed them into 2 or 3 mesh bags, and placed them in. I could clean them.
Would it not be a big nitrate factory if every week I took out one of the mesh bags, cleaned the bag, and rinsed the bioballs with ro/di water, as to clean detrius out of them, but still let the bacteria live? Would this help any and would this still create a nitrate factory.

I just want to say that if You take out and rinse with fresh water , Ro or Tap You will kill everything off. If You have the balls under water and have no air reaching You will have area for the bacteria to grow, I don't like Bio balls in wet dry filters, I don't mind having them under the water surface. It is when they come in contact with o2 that they become nitrate factories.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VWD said:
I just want to say that if You take out and rinse with fresh water , Ro or Tap You will kill everything off. If You have the balls under water and have no air reaching You will have area for the bacteria to grow, I don't like Bio balls in wet dry filters, I don't mind having them under the water surface. It is when they come in contact with o2 that they become nitrate factories.
Yeah, I forgot to mention it would be saltwater, not just freshwater, thanks for catching that.
So your saying that if the bioballs are fully submerged in water, it wouldn't be a nitrate factory? I mean, im sure I'd have to rinse them in sw every once in a while, but it wouldn't be as bad being fully submereged as it is in a wet/dry?

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Yes, rinse in salt water when cleaning and will be better if submerged in water all the time. will be a benifit to You if you don't have alot of live rock.

I have found that a risce in water from the tank is the best, Do it when you do a water change.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VWD said:
Yes, rinse in salt water when cleaning and will be better if submerged in water all the time. will be a benifit to You if you don't have alot of live rock.

I have found that a risce in water from the tank is the best, Do it when you do a water change.
Alright, thanks alot for the help!:banana:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts