The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried it, or should I be the guinea pig? :worm: (10 days and still 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, so I figure why not, unless there have been bad experiences)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
live sand that was bagged, cured live rock from LFS...I have some bioload...there are a couple corals (a zoa and some yellow star polyps), a ton of feather dusters, and snails that came as hitchhikers. Used ro/di water to fill with. I heard uncured rock cycles things quicker, is that what is slow?

either way, I'm curious about bio spira? I read some reports that its not instantaneous, but does get things done in about a week.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Biospira is just a bag of bacteria(hopefully alive).I say hpefully alive since it has an expiration date and needs to be refrigerated. YOu can never tell how its been stored,how long, shipping conditions to store, shipping to you etc.. Don't waste your money. You have more than enough bacteria in/on the live rock and sand.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Biospira is just a bag of bacteria(hopefully alive).I say hpefully alive since it has an expiration date and needs to be refrigerated. YOu can never tell how its been stored,how long, shipping conditions to store, shipping to you etc.. Don't waste your money. You have more than enough bacteria in/on the live rock and sand.
Yea I heard that (you have it overnight shipped in dry ice)...that was my next question, if anyone knew a good source for it.

Is your skepticism coming from experience with the product?

I've searched around and found a number of people who used it with more positive experiences than negative:
http://tropicalresources.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=146308&
http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showtopic=6484

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Why pay for something that you already have? It's like renting a fish. "The lfs said these fish will help the cycle and I can return them later." The cycle doesn't need any help.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why pay for something that you already have? It's like renting a fish. "The lfs said these fish will help the cycle and I can return them later." The cycle doesn't need any help.
I would be paying to start enjoying a nice tank 2-3 weeks earlier...sometimes time is money. Are you saying it doesn't speed it up at all? cause then its a different story...

Not saying patience isn't a virtue in most cases I'm learning you do have to wait, but if there is no negative effect and it speed the process up even a week thats worth $20 to me. To me its much different than adding a fish since I find that cruel and I don't think that really speeds it up (the fish creates the food for the bacteria, i.e. the ammonia, not the bacteria itself).

So has anyone here tried it? or know anyone who has?

·
Banned
1,382 Posts
You are trying to speed up the cycle of a new tank? I put fish in my last tank after 1 week of 0 readings. I used cured live rock and bagged live sand. All is well. I had already had a brown algae bloom, which has since dissappeared.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are trying to speed up the cycle of a new tank? I put fish in my last tank after 1 week of 0 readings. I used cured live rock and bagged live sand. All is well. I had already had a brown algae bloom, which has since dissappeared.
So you are saying you basically had no cycle? Did you take ammonia and nitrate readings? Is it possible that using live sand and cured live rock already established my bacteria colony? Thanks.

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
So you are saying you basically had no cycle? Did you take ammonia and nitrate readings? Is it possible that using live sand and cured live rock already established my bacteria colony? Thanks.

yes
if you use good LR that has been in a tank for a long time, the cycle is gone

worse case is you get small Ammonia readings just hours after set-up
then your ready to go

·
Banned
1,382 Posts
Apparently, as I just found out myself. I didnt even know and I had planned a one month cycle. I was monitoring my water every 2 days and got 0ppm on all. Then started the brown algae bloom. The guy I bought the rock from is the most well known in the hobby in this city, he told me that my tank was cured. After only 6 days! I asked him again just to make sure and he told me he has set up a few tanks already in as little as 3 days using this rock. So, I moved my fish from my other tank, and water tests are still good, and all has been well. Going on 2 weeks now.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apparently, as I just found out myself. I didnt even know and I had planned a one month cycle. I was monitoring my water every 2 days and got 0ppm on all. Then started the brown algae bloom. The guy I bought the rock from is the most well known in the hobby in this city, he told me that my tank was cured. After only 6 days! I asked him again just to make sure and he told me he has set up a few tanks already in as little as 3 days using this rock. So, I moved my fish from my other tank, and water tests are still good, and all has been well. Going on 2 weeks now.
Wow, yea, I was planning on a month as well...but do you have nitrates? What worries me is that my nitrates are 0 also, which leads me to believe that a cycle is yet to come. Also, I haven't had any kind of algae bloom.

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
No Ammonia = No Nitrites = No Nitrates

but I'd still take it slow

·
Banned
1,382 Posts
I was worried about my nitrates being 0 also, but apparently it was not an issue. I think the algae bloom was one of the things that assured him my cycle was complete, as right after I told him that he said it was done. Even though my nitrates are 0. They were still 0 the day after I added the fish.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found this suggestion on another site, and I don't like the idea of adding straight ammonia, but how else can I tell if I'm cycled? And if you do use this method any idea how much ammonia to use (118g tank)?

What I do is both add enough ammonia to bring the tank up to .05 or so and check your water in a couple of hours do you still have ammonia readings? . If not you're ready to add you first fish or couple of small fish check your water and see if you ever get ammonia or nitrite readings? If so water changes if not keep on going until you're done stocking.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No Ammonia = No Nitrites = No Nitrates

but I'd still take it slow
But don't you need that ammonia to feed the bacteria? that is why it disappears (as they convert it to nitrate)? After I cycled my FW tanks I had 0 ammonia, but I had nitrates b/c all the ammonia was being converted...am I missing something?

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
with the bigger system, and the minimal ammonia produced
You will not get any signs of nitrates
add a cocktail shrimp to test it out

1 - 18 of 18 Posts