The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We're new here. Haven't posted too much, been doing some reading mainly. We have a 14 gallon bio cube and the fan that runs when the day lights are on is making some pretty funky noises.

Is this common in these tanks?
Has anyone else had this problem?
Can I fix it and is it expensive?
If so, who would I call?
:confused:
TIA for any info.
Ben and Moni

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Yep, pretty common, and replacements from the manufacturer will do the same eventually. My suggestion is to measure the fans and buy some off of somewhere like Tigerdirect or Newegg for a higher quality replacement. :)

HTH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, thank you for your reply.
I have seen a micro fan at radio shack. Would something like that be appropriate? I'm thinking that because the lid (housing) over the light/fan in the top of the Bio cube is sealed, the fan would be far enough from the salt/water?
Any thoughts? Just considering this option as it is close to home and affordable.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
I 1st would try tightening the mounting screws(mite quiet them)Also look to see what the CFM of the fan and voltage then you can look for a new one that is the same voltage with at least or more CFMs.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
very common my bio cube fan use to sound like someone was killing a cat but after a while it stopped

1 - 7 of 7 Posts