The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This can't be ich can it? I've seen ich before on two different occassions. small white spots that appear one day, drop off, then appear in more numbers a different day gradually infesting the fish body within a few weeks. I just bought this mated clownfish two weeks ago and don't know what these lumps are on its body. They just look like two raised lumps. I think they appeared a few days after I got him home. they're not changing in appearance or size. He doesn't seem to irritated at all and is eating like a pig.

what is it?!

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I'm afraid the picture is blocked from my office :cry: The description sounds nothing like ich though. Swelling can be internal infections (like of the swim bladder) or parasites (often intestinal). Do they have stringy poop? I can't be much more of a help until I can view the image

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm afraid the picture is blocked from my office :cry: The description sounds nothing like ich though. Swelling can be internal infections (like of the swim bladder) or parasites (often intestinal). Do they have stringy poop? I can't be much more of a help until I can view the image
Haven't really paid attention to see if poop any different. If it is an internal parasite or fungus, can he infect my other fish? I've got a QT tank right now but there's another fish waiting for my other tank to cycle before I can put him in.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not Ich, that's for sure. How long has it been there?
I bought it on April 11th and a few days later I noticed the growth. so it's been a couple of weeks. I checked him at the store and there wasn't any sign of anything when I bought him. Just appeared one day. still eating like a pig. Just fed him last night (or her).

Is the bigger one of a mated pair the female?

I'm clueless on what to do. I still haven't seen any weird behavior or loss of appetite.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I moved both clowns into the QT and started treatment with "Lifeguard". It says it treats bacterial, fungal, viral and parasitic. Since I have no clue what I'm fighting, I'm thinking it fits into one of those catagories. The weird thing is, the lump closest to the top looks like it's made up of small little bumps and the larger lump in the white looks bigger. Hopefully she can fight through whatever it is. Here are some updated pics with a close up of the bumpy looking lump.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A-ha! I found the name of what I think is the virus. Lymphocystis. What I've read online says there's no cure for it, it just cures itself. So I guess by keeping my clowns in the QT and making sure they aren't stressed...maybe they'll get better on their own. I hope that's right, I've been having bad luck lately with my tanks. Makes me want to trade in my tanks for a dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts