The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have just made a huge mistake. I was testing the water....its somewhat dark, so I used the refugium light to compare colors (I'll never do that again!!!) and a few drops of the test sample may have leaked into the refugium! It was a Tetra test Nitrate test.

The ingredients listed on the box are: Hydrochloric acid, ethyl alcohol (ethanol), Isopropanol, and zinc powder.

I am not entirely sure any dropped in, but it dropped on my leg afterward...it very well could have. I treated with buffer to alter any acidic changes.

I am very nervous...what should I do.

(I have a 125 gallon reef tank)

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Nothing you are fine. The buffers in the water will neutralize the acid.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the zinc a problem?

How do I run carbon? .......I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I have never had to do that. I have some carbon bags from my freshwater tank, do I just throw a new one in the refugium? Could it be harmful?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, but I had thin cotton pants on. There was only a few small drops on my pants....no burning. I did notice the wet on my hand first...no burning.

(Good thought, it couldn't be too acidic if it didn't even burn on my hand)

I treated with buffer, but I think I am most concerned about the zinc powder that is in the test.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I had one of those panicked moments.....thinking all my corals were going to die. You all made me feel a lot better.

BTW..that study is VERY interesting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts