The Reef Tank banner
2721 - 2740 of 2751 Posts

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
263 Posts
I can't be of much help with the aquarium stuff but I do know electrical. Try keeping a light bulb in you mouth while you work Hack, it helps narrow down when you are getting close to the source.

·
Administrator
47,200 Posts
Looks like Ida is making feet dry at the moment. Hunker in the bunker Vinny
Typical slow Sunday mornin, should start pickin up soon

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,723 ·
Looks like Ida is making feet dry at the moment. Hunker in the bunker Vinny
Typical slow Sunday mornin, should start pickin up soon
Hi Doug.....we appreciate you stopping by, but guessing this was a wayward chip shot.
We'll pass it on to Vinnie for Ya. Have fun at the 'office'.
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,724 ·
Well survived my tank cleaning. Let's put that down as one of my least favorite jobs.
Not so much tank maintenance, as it is tank maintenance on this overgrown reef........When I stick my cleaning probe deep into the inky black abyss of the reef, well beneath the canopy of Mushrooms, Kenya Trees, and GSPs, and all you can see is the dark Brown almost Black stuff being sucked through the clear vinyl tubing. Still after uhhhhh, 3-4 years sucking hidden sand out from beneath the reef.....harboring all that nasty stuff that's soaked into it.

There's no going back once you've gone BB folks.....night n day difference! Sucking the 'dirt' out is one thing, but to have to CONSTANTLY unclog the hose due to corals, snails, and 'Sailors eyeballs', makes my wallet cry. All those Corals that get tossed to the curb hidden in those filthy buckets of water I ain't going in after. Think around here polyps go for like $10+ a piece, and betcha I sucked out 100 + pieces. It's a shame, but just not worth the effort of stopping the pony show once it gets rolling. And NO, they don't sell single Mushroom polyps around here....that price is based upon the colonies they do sell.

Figured out the stray of wayward electrons......was one of my power heads, as well as the 6' long power strip as well. Was a full 118 VAC when I started using the tank as a finger bowl this morning.....got er down to a respectable 1.7 VAC now. Heck, grinding me old teeth together produces more voltage than THAT. 🤔 😁

Yeah, I think I'm looking forward to a complete re-vamp here.
A marvelous opportunity to learn from all the mistakes we make over the years....all the 'wish I hads', and 'if onlys' ......looking forward to a 'Mulligan'!🤔👍:ROFLMAO: FORE!!!!!!!!
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,726 ·
BOY can I ever make you a deal!
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,728 ·
Yeah, life does that to me also vinnie

·
16,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,730 ·
Limited time, assets, room, energy. And attention span
Hack

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
We could swap tanks, my 65 for your 210.
It would be a long drive though.
plus I have an internal overflow for my sump.

·
16,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,733 ·
Seems to me you already have a whopper out in your garage Jerry.....what, you want to open a public aquarium? 🤔 :ROFLMAO:

I can understand that, they take time and money.
When I get involved with something Vinnie, I got to give it my absolute ALL......that's the only way I can know if'n I gave a hobby a fair chance.
I went the 'softies' route out of it being the easier path to learning the hobby, then fell in love with them. I've since been curious, and find myself thinking about the SPS side......so the only way to do it, right, will be to immerse myself in that next.

I even himmed n hauled the past couple years trying to keep them together.....but then they'd both be 'wanting'.

And another reason is our sunparlor, where our tank is, is just about a glove fit.....,.be nice having more room, PLUS Jen may then get her wash room up stairs now, as she's becoming mobile impared. That room had once been divided off when we first moved in 50+ years ago....I'll just put it back the way it was.
Hack

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
I really want an ground swimming pool to use as a tank. Have my own reef to swim on.
I had a friend in Albuquerque, worked at a lfs I went to that had a large green house with a big salt water pond with coral and fish. He didn’t need lights, did need to control temperature.

·
16,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,736 ·
There was someone on here once upon a time that actually had a reef tank so big he had pictures of himself diving in it......Can't recall his name?

Could you imagine Jerry having that kind of money, not only to build the tank....but to buy the rocks, salt mix, corals, fish.....You'd have to be stupid rich, PLUS have the love to do something like THAT. Beyond my comprehension. I'll go to the Camden, or Baltimore Aquariums if'n I have that kind of an urge.....you can sign up for 'tank dives'.
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,737 ·
I had a friend in Albuquerque, worked at a lfs I went to that had a large green out with a big salt water pond with coral and fish. He didn’t need lights, did need to control temperature.
I could picture THAT if'n I lived right on the sea......pipe the water right on up there. THAT would be 'imaginable' to me.
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,739 ·
Soooooo, umpti'scrumphethed cup of coffee, and dragging my feet to actually get to doing something....other than drinking coffee....

It's not a very well kept secrete, even though I keep using words like 'maybe', that come this winter I will be closing down Hack's-Reef and building Hack's-OTHER-Reef. 🤔 🤔.....Yeah, I'll think of a cool name eventually.:cool:

Other than folks moving, quieting, or 'crashing' their systems.......I think there's a need for a 'HOW TO CLOSE DOWN A REEF and START A NEW ONE' thread.
I have advanced notice, with no dead lines or pressure to do this transformation, so need to think of all the things I'm sure I won't think of.

a/ Get rid of THIS one....
z/ Build THIS one....

See, I'm sure there's more of the alphabet in there somewhere.
So I'll be thinking about a thread here shortly for something as 'obvious' yet missing as THIS.
Hack

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
263 Posts
That sounds like a good idea Hack. Maybe devote a post or two to disaster recovery, I can see a sticky with emergency and damage control procedures being valuable. For a hobby that requires stability, patience, and gradual growth over time, I get the sense recovering quickly with out making it worse is tough.

2721 - 2740 of 2751 Posts