The Reef Tank banner
2661 - 2663 of 2663 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,755 Posts
OK, ......A day away from having some 'stupid money' to spend on my obsession, so time to start ON-LINE ordering.
View attachment 241517

Now........One of the things I love the LEAST about tank cleaning and maintenance is cleaning our power heads. ("And they get grungy FAST!")
View attachment 241519

I on the other hand love our HOB water fall filters! Had 2 of them.....110 gallon tank size, but managed to break one a couple years ago and never replaced it.
View attachment 241518
4-twin head 1600 gph power heads now, and 1 of these HOB filters.
Giving some thought to running just 4 of these 110 gallon size HOB filters and get rid of the power heads. THEY make a lot of return flow all the way to the bottom. Have any of Y'All ever done this? Sure would make life a wee bit easier for us lazy people.

JUST THINKING.....don't hate us lazy reefers...
Hack
Those are some DIRTY powerheads!!!!!

I've addressed the situation by getting easier to clean power heads. I soldered a plug into the wire of one which allows me to remove it more easily, and for my Tunze's I have two so one can just sit in vinegar and make cleaning easier a day or two later. Another thing allot of people have done is buy the Ecotech powerheads with the dry side, so that way you pop off the wet side which is just a magnet to the dry side.

That being said, you can buy extension tubes for those HOB filters to pull from the bottom, they don't have as much flow as a clean propeller pump, (they are only like 300gph) but they do create a nice gyre, and you do have low flow corals,...

I wouldn't replace all your your power heads, but it would probably be great in addition to them! Or maybe you can have less powerheads and some of these?

Whiskey

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,662 ·
I wouldn't replace all your your power heads, but it would probably be great in addition to them! Or maybe you can have less powerheads and some of these?
Yeah my intelligent side agrees also.......just going to get the 2 of them, the 110 size listed at 500 gallons per hr. I was mistaken about the ones I have...they're 70's, not 110's.

I'll experiment with them......thinking both on one 1/2 the tank, opposing each other. MAY, experiment with f=running them to cover the top of the reef, and place my PH's down low....we'll see. Just need more toys!
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,755 Posts
I hear you! These will create a different kind of flow as well, especially if you can turn the water over from bottom to top by running the intakes all the way down. It will also give you a great spot to run your carbon, a high flow area to do your dosing, plus you can polish the water with a sponge or filter floss,.. and it will break the water's surface for additional air in the water and higher PH, lots of great things!

Whiskey

2661 - 2663 of 2663 Posts