The Reef Tank banner

2641 - 2650 of 2650 Posts

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,641 ·
Too early in the morning to start my tank cleaning yet, as there's still snoring in the house going on....,..,but just a little 'what I've found' info here while I wait.

Way back when, maybe early 80's when I was up to my arm pits in fresh water fish, I was given the best TANK-KEEPING advice I have ever heard and still influences me......
John, the owner of our lfs, and Friends for near on 40 years told me when I was having 'problems keeping certain fish'......"Don't fight Mother Nature......If your 'situation'....water, ambient temps, available resources, or whatever, are one thing, DON'T try to do something else....go with it." I was trying to keep South American Fish, when my tank was clearly geared to African Cichlids.......Then I found great success.

🤔 Where in the heck is this guy going? Well I'll tell Ya.....

Everyone's heard the phrase, 'If life hands you lemons......make lemonade!'. Well if not, go look it up, I'll wait.

When we as Marine tank hobbiests find ourselves having 'issues', or difficulties......or in this case coming back from woeful neglect.......take the time to look on the positive side.....look for something good in the situation, or use it as a learning tool and ask, 'THIS is what I've got...,.what can I do with THIS?'

In the past year my tank has been doing great....issues here n there, but rambling on through it's 7th year now. With the help from some of our Friends on here I've overcome some issues, and with some encouragement even began thinking about giving 'Pretty colored Stones' as go. Fast forward......I have a 'Softies Tank', I have a 'Softies' situation, environment, and MENTALITY. As I look at our reef as I get back to regular maintenance what I see are all the Corals that simply love this environment flourishing.....colors, size, expansion. Just an occasional tap on the shoulder and a brain duster......play the hand you were dealt....., DON'T FIGHT MOTHER NATURE.

Can we?Yes.....but you'll be fighting the whole way.....I'm lazy, lax, have a busy spell OFTEN.....I'm a Softies Reef person.
Hack

·
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,642 ·
........Drum roll please.......

THE TESTS!

Temp 80 f

pH 8

Alk 10 dkH

Calc 240 ppm

...............Surprised a wee bit by my Alk. staying up there. Dose, but once again that was one thing I have also been neglecting recently.......the bottle for that was nearly empty when I got off my lazy butt, made a new batch, and put it under there. 'Bottom of the barrel' as it were tends to be the strongest concentration. So with that being in a nice place, am not puzzled by my pH being THAT good before lights come on this morning....,,out of idle curiosity, may re-check that latter in the day.

Still to early to clean yet.
Hack

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Tanks still looking good bud. Those powerheads were pretty dirty…. You have definitely gotten your money out of those. Out of the 4 i bought only 1 still works. Guess i got the Friday at quitting time batch.

Matt

·
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,644 ·
Hey Matt! Lost track, but think they're probably 2 years'ish old. Was going to replace them, but removed those annoying suction cup mounts instead and glued an acrylic hook on them.
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
........Drum roll please.......

THE TESTS!

Temp 80 f

pH 8

Alk 10 dkH

Calc 240 ppm

...............Surprised a wee bit by my Alk. staying up there. Dose, but once again that was one thing I have also been neglecting recently.......the bottle for that was nearly empty when I got off my lazy butt, made a new batch, and put it under there. 'Bottom of the barrel' as it were tends to be the strongest concentration. So with that being in a nice place, am not puzzled by my pH being THAT good before lights come on this morning....,,out of idle curiosity, may re-check that latter in the day.

Still to early to clean yet.
Hack
The tank looks really good! Your right, it was time for a little clean up. The trouble with cleaning is that if you do it too often you won't be able to tell you did it at all ;)

Alk is probably high because CA is so low. Alk Ca and Mag all work together, and Ca lower than 380 has been shown to limit growth. With the growth of calcifying corals limited it will reduce the need for ALK and cause it to raise. Just a thought. love to see the high PH though! I've been working with mine a bit lately as well. With the newly built house if I close up all the windows it gets pretty low.

Whiskey

·
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,646 ·
Always a pleasure Pal when you stroll past! I've taken your advice already and bought a 50 lb. bag of ICE MELT......still sitting in the garage waiting for some lazy butt to get to the mixing of it......can't rush some things, only been 4 months so far.....but I do have it. Actually been, well lazy, but besides that, dragging my feet a little trying to decide on getting another, larger dosing pump, or dosing Calc. manually. My pump now is only a 2-station, and SHOULD get a 4 station pump. I have our's maxed out with the Vodka and Alk. The price between the 2 and a 4 station pump is comically insignificant, but at the time didn't think I even needed the 2nd pump.....OH WELL!
Peace Brother,
Hack

·
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,648 ·

Like I said Jerry, their 4-pump unit is only $2.00 more that their 2-pump unit I have. I'm sure I'll think of something for the other pumps not in use....perhaps an ATO?
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Always a pleasure Pal when you stroll past! I've taken your advice already and bought a 50 lb. bag of ICE MELT......still sitting in the garage waiting for some lazy butt to get to the mixing of it......can't rush some things, only been 4 months so far.....but I do have it. Actually been, well lazy, but besides that, dragging my feet a little trying to decide on getting another, larger dosing pump, or dosing Calc. manually. My pump now is only a 2-station, and SHOULD get a 4 station pump. I have our's maxed out with the Vodka and Alk. The price between the 2 and a 4 station pump is comically insignificant, but at the time didn't think I even needed the 2nd pump.....OH WELL!
Peace Brother,
Hack
Awesome!!! I dosed that Driveway de-icer for so many years, and it worked great! You have no idea how hard that is to find in Phoenix, AZ. If you need any help with it let me know, but the DIY 2 part article is really pretty good. And were even talking about dosing pumps!!! I love where this thread is going 😁

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts

Like I said Jerry, their 4-pump unit is only $2.00 more that their 2-pump unit I have. I'm sure I'll think of something for the other pumps not in use....perhaps an ATO?
Hack
You could do a partial ATO! I'm not sure of a way to drive those pumps using float switches, but you could set them up to dose like 75% of the average water you loose on a daily basis which would greatly stretch out the time between topoff. I used to do that with the Fresh Water tank I had at work for years containing Crystal Red Shrimp and plants, it was only 2G and I'd dose a few ML a day and it meant I only had to topoff every couple weeks. Because of it's size I didn't have room for floats and such.

Whiskey

2641 - 2650 of 2650 Posts