The Reef Tank banner

2621 - 2640 of 2650 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Really simple. A flap like assembly with a gauge to measure deflection. Amount of deflection would indicate flow.
I was thinking that it might need different weight, interchangeable flaps for more accurate readings.
I like it. Better than my idea of something that could measure height in a water column that the pressure suspended a marble. Like the breath measuring device the Dr made me use after by pass surgery.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,623 ·
That's where I was going also Jerry......Simple plastic drinking straw with a crease in it glued to a plastic card with indexes on it to compare water flow. Nothing science'y, just something to tell someone ,'This piece of Coral came from an area in my tank with THIS flow.'. And they's have the same gizmo they's set in their tank and say, 'Oh, that's like I have over here.' Yeah the old....MED, LOW, or HIGH is WAY TOO VAGUE and interpretive.
Hack

·
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,624 ·
........Ooooooops! Everybody raise their left hand and swear to not repeat anything they just saw or heard......TOP SECRETE! Now spit over your neighbors left shoulder.....Check the air flow first! 😁
Hack

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I think its even easier. Picture a small funnel placed sideways in the flow. A tube attached To the narrow end, and that comes out of the water.

0 flow the water line in the tube is the same in the tube as out. With flow the pressure in the funnel would be higher and the water in the tube would be higher as well. Just need some graduations on the tube to measure the height.

put a little floating bead in the tube to make it easier to read the height.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
The thing with that you have to compensate for different depths unless you have the scale where it will slide on the tube to set at water level.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Just put the funnel and tube in the water, then hold the tube out of the water until a mark is level with the tank water. Keep the tube in the same spot (I’d make a clamp to hold the tube), then turn the funnel into the flow.

you know Im going to have to go find a funnel now, right.

I would probably use funnel, length of flexible tube, then 3-4 inches of a ridged tube with the graduations on it.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
3D printed I’d make a funnel long 3” with 1” mouth and straight walls. I think the more gradual the slope of the walls the better the pressure you’ll build.

Build in a way to hold the funnel with a long slender acrylic rod.

offer different lengths of flexible tube for deeper or shallower tanks.

·
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,630 ·
Well we could approach this from another angle........ 🤔 Perhaps compare different flows to what kind of Fish you both have in common. A small fish will be down flow from coral placement in a hi flow system......even with the coral in a medium flow system, and sitting in front of it in a low flow system. Hmmmmmmmm?😁
Hack
Oh I kill myself at times.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Simple test. Pulled bulb end off a Turkey baster. Shoved the small end into a tube.

No Flow

Flow. I held the open end of the tube in front of a MP 40 at 15% flow. Still got several inches of differential from the tank level.

Measuring with a straight tube will be easier to read. Have to remember the higher the head height, the more pressure needed to raise the line, so the graduations would be closer together the higher they go, if you wanted a linear measurement.

I’d probably still have a “low, medium, high” with tick marks between. Then it’s my flow is 3 ticks over low, or 2 ticks under high.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I’d use air line. And then just attach a rigid tube with markings.

I tried some lower flow scenarios and it works. There’s a point where it’s too low pressure, but to be fair, I could barely feel any flow with my bare hand. I think a 1” wide mouth and air line will work better than the 1” mouth and 9/16” id tube.

More experimenting to take place, but this is a workable solution.

·
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,634 ·
Speaking of changing our clocks.......well I was, just not here. First signs of it throwing me off schedule.....I think it's time by our clocks to be out there cleaning our tank, but old unchanged lighting timers says it's not time yet. So here I sit.....typing instead of cleaning. Big sigh("Another for today.")
Hack

·
Administrator
46,887 Posts
Yes me observation looking at them on line is most had metal components that could be an issue in SW environs, but all of the ones I looked at were in-line meters

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Yes me observation looking at them on line is most had metal components that could be an issue in SW environs, but all of the ones I looked at were in-line meters
Ya, thought about inline and just having it flow through 2 open ends. But the flow has to be enough to turn the impeller. And the impeller has to be loose enough that it doesn’t cause it’s own back pressure.

Still think the flapper gauge or the funnel/tube gauge is going to be easier and less expensive to make. Also think either fo them will be less prone to clogging.

I was looking at Neptune flow meter but ratings are really poor for consistency/accuracy. A few comments seem to indicate anything under lab quality, suffers from the same issues.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
In my electronics bag of tricks I have a sensor that measures water height. They use them in leak detectors. I’m planning on making a couple of sensors to monitor sump levels. Could easily find one that fit inside the tube thing that would report very accurate elevation. But you jack the cost up to $75-$100. Maybe a basic model and a deluxe version.....

·
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,639 ·
Ahhhhhhh, seems like only yesterday when I had the thrill of building ours'.
20180708_125156.jpg
20180801_182329(0).jpg
20180708_125238.jpg
20180926_195850.jpg
Hack

·
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,640 ·
Whelp been dragging me feet long enough on a LONG PAST DUE UPDATE......SORRY that means Y'All are stuck sitting through a long one.

Had kicked around the idea of starting a little thread about 'When is it too late?'........because believe it or not I on occasion allow our reef to slip down the ole priority pole. One missed weekend of maintenance on occasion turns into the 3rd weekend. At which point House Beautiful turned me down for a photo spread, and turned me over to EGHADS QUARTERLY for their consideration of doing a full article. 😁

Here's a shinning example of where I was.....
20210504_140301_resized_1.jpg

20210504_105131_resized_1.jpg

20210531_115257_resized.jpg

20210531_115300_resized.jpg

At work the other mechanic is out with a broken neck, and a usual slammed spring at our boatyard has turned into a real blur. 6 day weeks, and evenings late. Then on top of that there's the summer get ready of our own place which takes up my one day off and waning evening hours nicely.

But anyway, THIS happens in our hobby, so of course I'd love to share the 'Oh heck you can do this' experience.

A dedicated morning of cleaning and blowing off the rocks......cleaning equipment.......filling and resetting dosing equipment.....wiping stuff down........added 8 gallons of distilled water........and as a new feature, removed and cleaned our new skimmer's venturi. Nothing insurmountable about a neglected hobby......just pick yourself up and have to it. Took a 3 hour Sunday morning effort and about a gallon of industrial strength gumption, as well as raising the volume on some CCR to help the chores pass.

AND what is of equal importance is staying in the saddle and do your next 'regular' maintenance. A couple weeks of going back to paying attention will get you right back in the game.👍

20210531_121534_resized.jpg

20210531_131517_resized.jpg

20210504_153117_resized.jpg

See, still alive and thriving, and I haven't had to switch to stamp collecting.

It's been 2 weeks of my regular tank cleaning on Sunday morning to get back to being proud of folks looking at it. Will dedicate this Sunday to 'testing', which I also have woefully neglected.

No need to ever go down the rabbit hole of dispare, and pity parties......just roll up the sleeves and have fun......IT'S A HOBBY!

Hack

2621 - 2640 of 2650 Posts