The Reef Tank banner

2601 - 2620 of 2650 Posts

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,601 ·
Home and skimmer is skimming! It's a beast of a yucky water maker she is! It was putting foam in the cup withing 10 minutes.

Jeff packed that thing like it was his Mother......all was safe n sound. Assembly was straight forward with no 'Japanese instructions' to throw at it. With the inclusion of a generous amount of Teflon tape, and the recommended amount of turns, 'hand tight' on all of the fittings is all that was required....not tools. QUIET......MAN, she's quiet! Let the pictures begin.......
20210301_113408_resized.jpg
CONGRATULATIONS....it's a skimmer!

20210304_152736_resized.jpg
Made a container to hold the MagDrive 9.5 pump out of an acrylic fish carrier, and some spare acrylic sheet laying around. I can adjust up or down as required.

20210304_160712_resized.jpg
Started producing foam withing moments, and began filling the cup within 10 minutes.

20210304_161714_resized.jpg

20210304_162005_resized.jpg

And the size comparison......

20200613_063410.jpg

20200208_150422.jpg

More details to follow.....be cool!
Hack

·
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,603 ·
This will be my 3rd skimmer with this tank in the past 7 years......
20180930_151210.jpg
My Bubble Magus Curve 7 A nice skimmer, but a wee too small and a bear to work on under my cabinet in the sump.
Don't regret a second loosing the sump....terrible contraptions.

20180929_155113.jpg
The 6' Beast.....air stone driven. Worked great, but noisier than LAX over the holidays.

20210304_160751_resized.jpg
Only been running for 4 hours so would be a bit of a stretch to give an opinion yet, other than so far I am PLEASED! Love the HOB aspect of it.......never thought an HOB would have the guts to power this reef.

Hack

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Ok, did you dump the `sump in its entirety?

Is there any pre-filter (socks?) before running right to the skimmer?

----- Edited to fix autocorrect issues. I don't know what's worse my typing, my spelling, or the bazaar words that autocorrect thinks I wanted. sheesh.

·
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,605 ·
Don't get me wrong Steve..,.,,,I love sumps! JUST IN SOMEONE ELSE'S SET UP! At ground level, under a cabinet....,.,.ALWAYS FILTHY. 👍

And not at all ignoring Ya new build thread, just running around to go do some fetching, and assisting.,..,,,..want to give your thread proper amount of time.
Hack

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Ya got ya. The main reason my stand is 42" tall is, not as people think, so it's easy to view, but more since it makes it easier for me to crawl into. It's kind of like my first truck. I could crawl in the engine compartment and close the hood and stay dry while I worked.......

·
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,608 ·
So far, so COOL!

Did my now every 6-month-1/2 the t5 bulb change. Ain't rightly sure what I strongly dislike most......spending close to $600.00 a year on just light bulbs, or PLAYING WITH THOSE LONG TINY TUBES OF FRAGILE GLASS? I fret every time I do that job..,,,...particularly when it come times to give them that 1/4 twist to engage em. Are a tremendous improvement though over those annoying t12's.......

Skimmer is still thrilling me.......and plug n forget after the initial adjusting the gate valve on the return side, is as advertised., The only reason I'm trying to figure out how to get back on my FB account is to join LifeReef's page and heap on my accolades. .........Got to brush up on my YouTub'n, and make a video. If'n not too embarrassing, I'll schlep it on here as well. I'm just not as dashing and debonair as Paul......He's good at making these videos. 🤔 HEY PAUL....want to be my stunt double? Steve will pay Ya well.😁
Hack

·
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,609 ·
OK........PICTURE TIME! 🥃🍿
20210307_111321_resized.jpg
My partner gave his approval.

20210307_111311_resized.jpg
Still removing the fish snot.

20210307_132900_resized (1).jpg

20210307_133254_resized.jpg

Hack

·
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,610 ·
Another handy thing I just came up with.....
20210309_173940_resized.jpg 20210309_173950_resized_1.jpg
For those that 'dose', of for whatever other reason you'd have lines/hoses going over the rim of your tank that you have to constantly adjust to keep them where you want them........
An acrylic bracket, ("I love making acrylic stuff......stupid easy to work with.") bent over the edge with appropriate sized holes to pass your tubing through. BRILLIANT! No more banging into them, or pulling them up higher or lower....they're just there now! 🤔 👍

That wire tie has nothing to do with it......my return line is just attached to that bracket to keep IT where I want it.
Hack

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Another handy thing I just came up with.....
View attachment 241120 View attachment 241121
For those that 'dose', of for whatever other reason you'd have lines/hoses going over the rim of your tank that you have to constantly adjust to keep them where you want them........
An acrylic bracket, ("I love making acrylic stuff......stupid easy to work with.") bent over the edge with appropriate sized holes to pass your tubing through. BRILLIANT! No more banging into them, or pulling them up higher or lower....they're just there now! 🤔 👍

That wire tie has nothing to do with it......my return line is just attached to that bracket to keep IT where I want it.
Hack
Ya, nice. One of my projects when the 3D printer gets here is dosing hose brackets. oh, that reminds me. If anyone wants something 3D printed, let me know. If you don’t mind being the Beta testers for gadgets, you can keep the final products, gratis.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Ya, nice. One of my projects when the 3D printer gets here is dosing hose brackets. oh, that reminds me. If anyone wants something 3D printed, let me know. If you don’t mind being the Beta testers for gadgets, you can keep the final products, gratis.
I had an idea for a simple flow meter, I would have to draw it up. Could probably sell them as water flow is something that really doesn’t have any definition. Just low, medium or high doesn’t tell you much. They are all relative terms.

·
15,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,613 ·
.......Oooooops, I dropped THAT ball Jerry. I recall you and I chatting about the need. I think unless it became 'wide spread', the only way for my thoughts to work would be to include one in my 'Coral orders' so I could tell the person receiving them what velocity MY flow was.
Hack

·
Administrator
46,887 Posts
Dang flow meters are expensive, esp if they are plastic and SW safe

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Doug wouldn't the plastics used in 3d printing be safe?
My design is very simple and would be inexpensive, if it works.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Doug wouldn't the plastics used in 3d printing be safe?
My design is very simple and would be inexpensive, if it works.
With limited exception, no. Most plastics won’t survive prolonged exposure to salt water. Most one survive regular water.

ABS and PETG are two plastics that do well. ABS being better, but its hard to print with.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
It won’t be in the water permanently. Just to take a reading of where the coral is or where you are considered placing it.
I assumed Doug was referring to safe to the tank inhabitants.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I had an idea for a simple flow meter, I would have to draw it up. Could probably sell them as water flow is something that really doesn’t have any definition. Just low, medium or high doesn’t tell you much. They are all relative terms.
Let’s look at it. I did some quick searching for 3D printed flow meters. Seems reasonable easy. There’s an electronic component to it as well which won’t be a problem.

What I saw in a quick look about were plans for inline flow meters. But I like the idea hack has is a way to measure flow in a spot in a tank.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
It won’t be in the water permanently. Just to take a reading of where the coral is or where you are considered placing it.
I assumed Doug was referring to safe to the tank inhabitants.
Most plastics are hydroscopic, like wood is. I’d be also concerned with most of them leaching chemicals into the tank. I have a laser/resin printer which does great work, but can’t make parts I’d have anywhere near the tank. The printer I ordered a couple of weeks ago, can do both the PETG and ABS very effectively. I have to build an enclosure for it, but we’ll be good to go once its here.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Really simple. A flap like assembly with a gauge to measure deflection. Amount of deflection would indicate flow.
I was thinking that it might need different weight, interchangeable flaps for more accurate readings.

2601 - 2620 of 2650 Posts