The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is the start of the new year and the start of the bi weekly discussion's.
we all know they tend to run a little longer sometimes...

just to let any one who is not familiar with the bi-weekly.
at any time you can post and ask or share knowledge, i just ask that you dont jump too far ahead. Disagree with something.. Great! lets talk and see what is good and bad.

SOOOO
Cycle........

"Okay, I am knew to the reef world and want to start off things right.
I have Base rock cooked and cleaned, fresh salt water made from RO/DI and have the sand already in and rinsed. Once i have everything in the tank, How do i start my cycle?"

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
The way I start mine is throw a piece of dead shrimp in the tank and let it sit for about a week. This always gets the ammonia goin in my tanks. You could also feed the tank a few times with the skimmer off.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I am impatient (so some say)....

So I try and start with LR that looks well cured at the LFS, Live sand and tank water from an established tank if possible. If not, then I use new water. I like the tank to cycle from my LR. I don't put a lot in right away to get it started, then I add a piece (maybe "dirtier" looking (like some macro or living things visible) and let that acclimate. I have added fish early (clownfish...BAD idea) but I think that is not a good fishkeeping habit! So I like to add some coral and see how they do. But my experience is that I can have good water readings, pods, coral doing well etc but the fish still need the tank to be more mature. I have only had one big tank so most of my experience is with nano type tanks.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Ok I will ask a question...

What is the difference between having good "readings" on your tank and truly being mature enough to support fish in a responsible way?

Because I think there is a difference:idea:

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Good question Joanne. There is a difference between completing the nitrogen cycle and having a tank mature. Before we get to that, let's stay on track with the easy stuff first. Just what is the "nitrogen cycle" anway, and why is it imprtant that it be "completed" before adding fish and corals?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Marine life waste causes ammonia
Ammonia is broken down in a tank by (de?) nitrifying bacteria
But the good bacteria isn't populated until there is ammonia. So there needs to be some kind of "waste" before the cycle can start.
Ammonia in higher concentrations (like detectable) is dangerous for fish because it can burn their gills. So if their is not enough bacteria to break down the ammonia in balance with the amount of waste the marine life is producing, the tank will become TOXIC!!

How was that?:)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts

I have Base rock cooked and cleaned, fresh salt water made from RO/DI and have the sand already in and rinsed. Once i have everything in the tank, How do i start my cycle?"
Pee in the tank?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Can we focus here?:p

There could be fish dying as we speak!!

Not mine mind you...I already killed them:doh:

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Good points Joanne. The nitrogen cycle depends on beneficial bacteria to convert toxic ammonia into the less toxic form of nitrite, and then to the even less toxic nitrate. As you mentioned, something has to start these bacteria off by providing the "food" that they need to survive (an ammonia source). Just where do these bacteria come from? Where do they live and what conditions do they favor? And how long does this cycle take?

On a separate note, if you ever ask Tom to come to your house to help you get your cycle going, make sure there aren't any children around. :lol:

·
11,345 Posts
If your base rock was truly cooked, and assuming you used new dry sand and not that live garbage.............then your cycle has already been long since completed. You may see a tiny cycle from moving it to the display but it will be over in a day or two.

curing, cycling and cooking. How are they different?? ;) Maybe another topic O week ??

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
If your base rock was truly cooked, and assuming you used new dry sand and not that live garbage.............then your cycle has already been long since completed. You may see a tiny cycle from moving it to the display but it will be over in a day or two.

curing, cycling and cooking. How are they different?? ;) Maybe another topic O week ??
Cycled maybe....but ready for fish?

·
11,345 Posts
Cycled maybe....but ready for fish?
If it was really cooked its absolutely ready for fish immediately. Not a tank load but a fish or two to start ramping it up for sure.

Of course for rock to really be cooked it needed to be seeded and live for the cooking process to even happen in the first place, and the cycle has already been completed a long time ago. Which was my point. ;)'

Lately you will often har of people getting their new base rock in and cooking it for a while before using it. They arent cooking anything. They are curing and in some cases cycling it. dead rock cant be cooked.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts