The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have talked about fish diseases, mostly crypto but we often forget about the various ailments that coral can get. I know many people who quarantine their fish but not corals that they get in. What kinds of parasites and diseases do corals get? How do we prevent them? If we get them how should they be treated?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Well I just did battle with a gang of these

I had a colony of zoa's that would not open up after some investigation and moving the zoas around the yank to different light levels thinking that was the problem then I see the spiders they are freaky looking.

my method of disposal was to remove the coral from the tank observe coral in a Tupperware bowl and manually removed the pest with a pair of needle noise pliers. This along with three fresh water dips for three, five, and seven minutes revealed eight spiders.

I left the coral in the Tupperware over night and examined in the am after examination the coral was placed back in the tank and all the polyps seem to be opening and recovering just fine.

It really pays to closely examine and spend quality time with you tank inhabitants had I paid attention closer I would have caught this problem shortly after I brought the zoa colony home, or at least shortly after they began failing to open while the lights were on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
what size are the spiders? I have a blue trumpet that has not opened for a week. I'm not home now to look, but now I'm wondering if this is what I have.

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
what size are the spiders? I have a blue trumpet that has not opened for a week. I'm not home now to look, but now I'm wondering if this is what I have.
I believe the spiders are exclusively zoa pests.
As for pests, I hate crabs! I had 1 tiny juvenile fuzzy xanthid crab DESTROY my most beautiful colony of corals, my clove polyps. They never recovered, and i've been looking to get another colony ever since :angry:

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
I believe the spiders are exclusively zoa pests.
As for pests, I hate crabs! I had 1 tiny juvenile fuzzy xanthid crab DESTROY my most beautiful colony of corals, my clove polyps. They never recovered, and i've been looking to get another colony ever since :angry:
+1 I hate crabs

This little bugger cause me so much heartache... lost SPS colonies I had since the beginning...:bawling: not to mention that I tore down a tank and then found that he was the reason!

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
+1 I hate crabs

This little bugger cause me so much heartache... lost SPS colonies I had since the beginning...:bawling: not to mention that I tore down a tank and then found that he was the reason!

I saw your thread on this! What a PITA... Amazing how such small things can do so much damage.

·
reef addict
350 Posts
i found one of those last week! fortunately he was dead {must have hitched a ride on a new piece of LR}

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
ive done battle with monti eating nudi's talk about a pest to deal with. lost huge tabling colonies... only know treat meant ive found is having a pair of wrasse that are on the job, and frequent dips and scrubs with soft bristle brushes...

·
Registered
70 Posts
ive done battle with monti eating nudi's talk about a pest to deal with. lost huge tabling colonies... only know treat meant ive found is having a pair of wrasse that are on the job, and frequent dips and scrubs with soft bristle brushes...
what kind on wrasse...losing a Monti as we speak. not much hope left....will the nudi's die off once their food supply is gone? or do i avoid any more Monti's forever????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts