The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a Coralife 2 light unit, a 10,000k white and a Blue Light. The Ballast that controlls the Blue light works... sometimes. Like, after 2+ hours of them both on (in which the white is actually the only one on), I can turn them both off, the blue light flickers, and if the planets are aligned, I can turn them both back on and get my blue light to work.

I assume the ballast is going bad. I got this unit off of a friend who taught me the trick. It isn't that old, but I can't give a definite period of time. I attempted to re-solder all the solder points on the switch / ballast to see if something was just corroded - no dice. I've looked up the ballast and have only found a grey looking replacement (LICL-53052-65) with a plug in style wire-output. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I have a Coralife 2 light unit, a 10,000k white and a Blue Light. The Ballast that controlls the Blue light works... sometimes. Like, after 2+ hours of them both on (in which the white is actually the only one on), I can turn them both off, the blue light flickers, and if the planets are aligned, I can turn them both back on and get my blue light to work.

I assume the ballast is going bad. I got this unit off of a friend who taught me the trick. It isn't that old, but I can't give a definite period of time. I attempted to re-solder all the solder points on the switch / ballast to see if something was just corroded - no dice. I've looked up the ballast and have only found a grey looking replacement (LICL-53052-65) with a plug in style wire-output. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I called up oceanic systems and they informed me they have discontinued carrying the BH-APL0551A and haven't used them in 4 years. I don't blame them for discontinuing them. So many people had trouble with this type of ballast. I currently have one ballast working. If any of you are willing to sell your to me let me know. Otherwise I have a ballast I could sell you. :)

·
Making Waves
207 Posts
+1. the ballasts are named generically as follows: (Number of bulbs)F(wattage)(T)(size).

Ex: (2)F40T8.....2 bulbs, Flourescent 40 Watt, T8 diameter. On the future ballast, it should tell you what you can drive with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.