The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my new DE 250 watt bulb last night. It appears when I had my accident with my light the socket got messed up as well. It is a 250 HQI socket in an Aqua Medic pendent. Is anyone able to fix or replace a socket in one of these?<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

I am frustrated right now to the point where I almost want to throw in the towel on the hobby. I have had a few things happen and it is all just starting to add up and frustrate me.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, I can have a look at it for you. ReefTankLighting is close by if we need to buy any parts. Give me a call. 770-653-2286.

·
Registered
839 Posts
im sorry about your problem, i've had some too lately that have made me just want to quit the hobby, i've had flooding more then 10 times- which is very bad, and a nitrate spike- which had a very bad result, but in the end everything is fine and growing, so it is worth it to stick out the problems, hang-in there.

·
Registered
372 Posts
sharkboy1410 said:
im sorry about your problem, i've had some too lately that have made me just want to quit the hobby, i've had flooding more then 10 times- which is very bad, and a nitrate spike- which had a very bad result, but in the end everything is fine and growing, so it is worth it to stick out the problems, hang-in there.
How'd it manage to happen 10 times? Was it a different cause every time?

·
Registered
839 Posts
it was the same, but it happened through different places, it was my skimmer's bubble reducer box, there was a hole in it, and water leaked out, but i replaced the part, and everything is great now!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got my light fixed last night. For whatever reason the metal that the left side of the bulb seats into needed to be pulled towards the bulb just a bit.

Also I found that what appears to have happened is that side of the last bulb FUSED to the metal in the socket. Thats why it was so hard to get out.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, and thanks to everyone who offered to help.

I have to ask, is it normal for a bulb to fuse to a socket like that with a DE bulb? Seems really messed up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
if you mean melt, yeah it happens.

normally a sign of a bad connection (maybe not pushed in hard enough). dont forget to start those bulbs it takes 4.7KV. any not perfect connections carbon up quickly and over heat and burn out.

fortunately the cap ends are not expensive.

trick is to make sure the bulb is inserted fully and the unit has clean and nice connections.

glad all came out right in the end.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I switched to a new color bulb too, a phoenix 14K, I love it. I had a 20K AB in there before, but this looks great. I cant wait for it to burn in and get the full color effect.

·
Registered
573 Posts
im glad you like it! after a lot of mind changing I just ordered a Giesemann 13k Megachrome bulb. I wanted to go with a more 10 K look. So we will see!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts